• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

??'s on 2 Guyatone Micro Pedals. T2 Fuzz and A1 preamp

Bonedance

As I was leaving a pawn shop the other day, I spotted a small box on the wall behind the counter that said: Guyatone Pre Amp. I asked to see it and lo and behold, that's what it was. The box indicates it's model number is A-1. It has volume, bass, treble knobs with no on/off switch....it's always on.

I tried it out with a P-90 equipped guitar into the clean channel of a new Peavey Envoy 110 transtube amp. I was very surprised and pleased with the complex sparkle it added and a bit amazed at the variety of excellent tones available. It seems the controls are interactive and small adjustments yield big rewards.

A google search brought up a few for sale at inflated prices, but other than one site that said it was the first micro pedal introduced in that series, (and the first to be discontinued) I could not find much info. Anyone have experience or information on this little gem?

Next up is the TZ-2 "the Fuzz". I don't have this pedal, but the pawn shop I got the A-1 from does! I don't need a fuzz, (heck, didn't need the preamp!) but thinking I should nab it anyway. While there is much more info online about this one, I would like to hear from those with real world experience.

Thanks in advance! BTW, the A-1 preamp is a sweet little pedal. I know it sounds great with P-90's and a small, solid state amp, but I'm looking forward to trying it with my tele, strat and bucker equipped semi into a few tube amps.

Squatch57

As I was leaving a pawn shop the other day, I spotted a small box on the wall behind the counter that said: Guyatone Pre Amp. I asked to see it and lo and behold, that's what it was. The box indicates it's model number is A-1. It has volume, bass, treble knobs with no on/off switch....it's always on.

I tried it out with a P-90 equipped guitar into the clean channel of a new Peavey Envoy 110 transtube amp. I was very surprised and pleased with the complex sparkle it added and a bit amazed at the variety of excellent tones available. It seems the controls are interactive and small adjustments yield big rewards.

A google search brought up a few for sale at inflated prices, but other than one site that said it was the first micro pedal introduced in that series, (and the first to be discontinued) I could not find much info. Anyone have experience or information on this little gem?

Next up is the TZ-2 "the Fuzz". I don't have this pedal, but the pawn shop I got the A-1 from does! I don't need a fuzz, (heck, didn't need the preamp!) but thinking I should nab it anyway. While there is much more info online about this one, I would like to hear from those with real world experience.

Thanks in advance! BTW, the A-1 preamp is a sweet little pedal. I know it sounds great with P-90's and a small, solid state amp, but I'm looking forward to trying it with my tele, strat and bucker equipped semi into a few tube amps.
Hey Bonedance, those A-1 Preamps were originally designed for acoustic guitar, they just happen to work good on electric as well
They made them (and the SB-2 matching footswitch) for ages, from about 1980, at least ten years before the other Micro pedals came out
My guess is the A-1 went out of fashion in the 80's when better acoustic pre's came out, so they had leftover cases!

The A-1 has pretty high asking prices on ebay, but they're not as rare as the other Micros 'cos they made them for so long. I've seen a bunch of them around
Here's a pic from the 1982 Guyatone catalog

Last edited:
The TZ-2 is a clone of a Univox Supa-Fuzz. I don't know how accurate it is (never tried the Univox). It is a scooped, nasty sounding fuzz, very sharp and bright. If you want Big Muff type tones or Fuzz Face type tones, look elsewhere. It gets octave-up sounds at about 11:00 or so on the gain dial. Use with caution. (Yes, I own one. Don't use it too much).

Squatch57

I like my TZ-2 fuzz, gets that 60's vibe. I noticed Denny Walley is taking one out on his current tour with the Muffin Men in the UK

here's a pic of my Guyatone's, I love 'em! (well. most of them, the chorus is a bit noisy)

Terry Hayes

Never tried the TZ-2 or the A-1 but I have had an MD-2 and an MD-3 for many years now. They are great pedals.

Bonedance

Thanks for the info guys! The fuzz is definitely on the wild side! Whole different animal than the Boss FZ-3 fuzz I found recently. I traded the fuzz to a nice young fella the other day. He really wanted it and offered me a sweet, unfinished tele body and unfretted neck yesterday. I told him I was getting the better end of the deal by far, (he knew nothing about the body and neck....except that a friend gave it to him a few years ago, and he had no intention of playing a cowboy guitar!) so I threw in a Dano Daddy-O.

Sasquatch, that is an amazing collection of micro pedals you have! Thanks for the info. Did not know it was made for acoustic, but it makes sense. I'll have to give it a try that way.

The main thing Sasquatch.....you need the A-1 in there to round out your collection!

Squatch57

The main thing Sasquatch.....you need the A-1 in there to round out your collection!
Yeah I should get an A-1 if they sound that good. I was looking for a PA-3 but I think they only sold them in Japan

They also made the PA-2 and a version of the A-1 for Aria. But I'm not gonna try to collect all 45 of the micros heh

Trending Topics