s2 amps Blues Jr & Pro Jr conversion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DOD250, Apr 1, 2008.

1. DOD250

DOD250 Member

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the s2 amp conversions. I mean, how do they sound, and how's their quality?
    I'm considering the 18 watt lite conversion for my Pro jr.

these guys...
    http://www.s2amps.com/bluesjr.html

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

For a bit more than a hundred bucks more, you can get a complete 18 watter from Nik at Ceriatone. Plus the tranny's in the S2 amps are just the stock tranny's. So you would probably get a better sounding amp from Ceriatone.

Keep in mind though, I have never actually played the s2 conversion. But I have played pro jr's.

You might be able to do it yourself. http://www.ppwatt.com/node/15582 (you need to join the website to see the page)

Seems like a pretty easy mod to do though.

dk

3. DOD250

DOD250 Member

I've thought about the ceriatones, but when you add the cabinet, then, holy cow, the shipping it almost doubles the price. If I were to spend more (as if I had it) I'd probably look at Frenzels. But I like the idea of keeping my Pro Junior as a combo for rehearsals, or using it as a head for gigs.

As for ppwatt, I'm not sure if I'm ready for modding my own amp. I'll check it out though.

Thanks much, dk, for the input.

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Yeah I just built my own cab out of pine. It took maybe twenty minutes.

You might be able to take the amp to a tech to wire it up for you the way you like.

Good luck,

dk

5. packermann

packermann Member

DOD250,

I had S2 amps convert my Blues Jr. in a micro plexi and it turned out really good. I haven't had a chance to play it with my band yet but I think it is going to sound great. As a combo, it is really nice.

You need to be the one to decide your own budget though. I got it set up just the way I wanted with the Mercury Output Transformer, Mercury Power Transformer, power dampening, line out, effects loop, the rest of the conversion and a new Heritage G12 H. Its pretty loud and the tone should be impressive when plugged into my main 4-12 cab.

All the guidance Steven provided throughout the conversion was spot on. FWIW the stock power transformer in the Blues Junior isn't really built to handle the needs of the amp at full throttle. My local tech also found that I needed to replace power tubes to eliminate some of the rattle in the amp. Now the amp is just about perfect.

Pete

6. DOD250

DOD250 Member

Much thanks for that info, Pete. I just puchased a new amp last night, so the s2 conversion is put on hold. It just gives me more time for research. :)

7. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

Does anyone know how a Celestion g12H30 sounds in the Blues Jr ?