1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

s2 Amps Blues Junior Mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleplayer, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Guys (and ladies),

A close friend of mine is thinking about buying a used Blues Junior and getting the s2 mod done to it. Does anyone have experience with s2 and/or the conversion(s) they do?

If so, any feedback and insight would be appreciated before he takes the plunge. Thanks.

2. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

I know Steve and use his s2 transformers on all of my builds. He's a top notch guy and will *not* steer your friend wrong!

With respect to his bues jr conversions, He'll do a whole slew of different 15-20 watt amps...depending on what you want.

Regardless, you've got a resounding endorsement from me!

3. Teleplayer

bump

any more experiences???????

4. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

Not to put down s2 as I've never heard of them or their BJr mods but this thread reminds me of a spoof ebay auction from earlier this year.

It was a 1200 dollar Blues Jr. The description described how the guy bought a BJr, replaced the speaker, cab, tubes, had various mods done to it and ended up spending 1200 bucks on upgrades on top of the cost of the amp. He said it was now perfect and sounded almost like the 1200 dollar boutique amp he strived to copy, and it only cost him 1500 bucks.

The moral was we all get swept up in modding and this and that, but sometimes you need to determine when it is no longer the best course of action.

Do I want to pay ~$800 (amp+mods)for a BJr to be modded to sound somewhat like a 1974x or spend a couple hundred more for a used 1974x or spend 50-100 less and get a real JCM800. granted there is a lot to be said for a BJr small size and low power.

Just remind him to consider what he ultimately wants, and if it isn't essentially a fender tube amp this might not be the least expensive route to go despite the basic amp's cheap price.

(All that said I love Bjr's. it is a terrific amp for the price)

5. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

s2 does exactly what he advertises, when he does a blues Jr mod. He doesn't change a few things or make some changes here or there. He guts the entire Blues Jr amp, replaces the inards with a turretboard containing the circuit of your choice and ships you a completely rebuilt amp. It's not a spoof nor a scam, and no offence Thelonius, but you shouldn't make that acusation unless you know about s2's work.

However, Thelonius does have a point...buying a blues jr just to mod it seems almost counter productive. Once you spend all that money, you're probably 1/2-3/4 to the real thing. The blues jr mod is great for someone who's got a blues jr in the basement collecting dust...and he or she wants to hot rod it into something the blues jr is not.

Granted, if you want something like a marshall 18watt, those things are 2000. Spending 250 on a blues jr and 400 on the conversion, you're going to be getting a 2000 amp for 650.

You really need to figure out exactly what you want before you take the action to go the blues jr route.

But again, please don't claim what s2 does is a scam or a spoof....because you're just wrong...

6. Teleplayer

Guys, I am seriously seeking information for my friend. He is the other guitar player in my band. Period.

I'm looking for helpful information, not insinuations and opinions based on an eBay auction.

Thanks.

7. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

don't have to spend anywhere near 2K to get a 18 watter unless its got to say Marshall on it..............email if looking or do a search

8. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I've had several dealings with Steve (s2), and he's absolutely a great guy to do business with. I own a Matchless Lightning clone that he built for me at a very fair price, and he also worked on and advised me on hot-rodding my home-built 5F1 Champ. Very good guy, with a good know-how, and a good ear! The parts and build quality on my Lightning are second to none. I'd be happy to take some pics and post them if that would be helpful.

I haven't gotten to play any of his conversions, but I'm sure they'd be top notch. If your friend could find a used Blues Jr. at a bargain price, that'd absolutely be a great way to go... It's of course even more economical for someone who already has a Blues Jr. sitting in their closet collecting dust.

In short, s2 gets a full 5 out of 5 stars from me on the rating scale... HIGHLY recommended!

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

And you wouldn't spend anywhere near that on an 18 watt or an 18 conversion from s2 either.

What do you mean by, "e-mail if looking or do a search..." ? I'm confused.

Thelonius - just a suggestion, but you may want to do a little editing of your comments... It's very inaccurate and factually incorrect as it relates to the topic here, and such assumptions can be unnecessarily harmful to a very legitimate builder like s2. Not trying to be combative, just fair.

10. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

S2 is a good guy. Not sure about the mod itself, but I'd have faith in the company.

11. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

Edit what? I didn't say this guy is a scam or a spoof in any way. He mods BJr's and the subject of modding BJr's reminded me of a spoof auction. How is that accusing him of anything or his business, or anyone else who mods BJr's?

Perhaps some should chill out and actually read what I posted. Please enlighten me to any point where I said anything negative about s2. Oh that's right I said this thread reminds me of a spoof auction (not s2) and I specifically noted I know nothing about s2 beyond this thread.

A blues Jr is a great little amp, and a great platform for modding. But the fact remains that if the base isn't at all the amp you want, you will frequently end up unhappy and farther in the hole than if you simply got the amp you wanted in the first place, or something closer to begin with.

PLEASE NOTE: while the name s2 and the words scam and spoof are all present in this post, at no time was it insinuated one refered to the other. Fender is a registered trademark of FMIC. Any other questions about meaning in this post inferred or implied should refer
    here:

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Just shows to go ya...

I read Thelonius' first post and understood that what he was saying had nothing to do with Steve. Just a humorous tale about the ends we gearheads go to to squeeze out every little last bit of tone, even when it makes no financial sense. (I'm looking in the mirror with that last sentence, LOL!)

13. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Are you saying hooked on phonics is a scam?!
    ;)

14. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

My apologies. You're right, I should have read more carefully. I'm just concerned that if I didn't read carefully, others will probably make the same mistake. Lots of people read these forums with only one eye open... I guess you can't protect them from themselves.

I fear this is all a sign that I'm spending too much time here again lately. This is my fault.

Again, my apologies.