S2 Vela vs. a Gretsch Power Jet

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bender, May 24, 2015.

1. bender

bender Member

Alright, I admit it, I am a bit of a hater.

I don't like the aesthetics of most PRS guitars as a guitar I would use myself; I find many of the ones I have seen as gaudy or ostentatious. I appreciate that they are generally fine instruments, but I have mostly ignored them.

A local shop that I frequent is a dealer, and I have tried some SE models in the past (great for the price, but . . . I still think a bit too flimsy feeling for me, and uninteresting sonically). Last week, I tried two S2 models. First, a custom 24 that was good, but 24 frets are wasted on me, and, well, it was white and it HAD THE BIRD INLAYS. I hate the bird inlays. Hate 'em. Then I tried a white S2 Mira. Dot inlays. Neck was great (on both the S2 guitars I tried).

Well, I am tempted. I had the shop owner check with the distributor, and it sounds like they can send a S2 Vela over for a try. I'd love to try one of those--and while reviews have been hard to find, it sounds like a guitar I could like a lot, and use a lot (I play punky/noisy stuff, some fuzz here and there, some overdrive, tend towards P90s at the moment though).

This would mean selling one of my guitars--I was thinking of selling my 2011 Gretsch G6128 TVP Power Jet -- I never play it, mostly because I am not quite a fan of the Powertrons. I played a Power Jet with the Dynasonics (or whatever the DeArmond style single coils are). Preferred that sound.

Given prices down under, I could probably get close to a straight swap between the Gretsch and the S2 Vela if I like the S2 Vela.

My distinguished TGPers--is this a stupid idea? Should I just get another set of pick ups for the Gretsch? I liked the playability of the Gretsch fine. What are the opinions on the S2 Vela? Is it as well built as this Japanese Gretsch?

Thanks for any input.
    --Bender

2. archey

archey Member

It is most likely a better built instrument than the gretsch. Having said that, go with your gut. Don't let biases convince not to get the prs if you dig it.

bender likes this.
  3. kbgear

kbgear Member

I agree with archey, go with your gut.

PRS is well known for artist and private stock extreme tops, inlay, gold hardware, dragons, etc. But none of their guitars have to look that way -- I'm pretty sure you can get dots and solid colors on every model. The S2 is a great line with subdued cosmetics, subdued or no maple tops, great wood and tone, and at a great price point.

Killer guitars, but they have their own sound and it either works for you or it doesn't.

I'm GASing for a Vela myself. :)

bender likes this.
  4. ECHaydo

ECHaydo Member

I've owned a Power Jet for the last year and I've come close to selling it a couple times. Every time I go to A/B it with something else like a LP, ES-335, Strats, or teles(including a custom shop model with bigsby and TV classics) I can't get over how much more responsive and soulful the Gretsch sounds. Regardless what amp I'm running. Oh, and every time I mentioned I was thinking of selling the gretsch my band looked at me like I simultaneously slapped all of their mothers....no bueno.

If you're looking for a change I'd suggest swapping Power'trons for the TV Classic Plus. More output than the classics with less pronounced mids than the power'trons.

Cheers

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I love the Gretsch sound, but I can't bond with their necks. I've been buying core line Starla's, both new and used, for about the same price as an S2. The Starla pickups are very similar to the TV Jones Classic Plus, only a little brighter. The Vela pickups are more like a GFS Goldfoil. Interesting if you like it, but not very Gretsch like.

[​IMG]

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    An S2 Vela is a PRS then right ? - never heard of it and that's the response you'll get from most people and pretty much sums up PRS guitars imo - they're ok but lack sonic character & style. At least every one I've played.

I'm amazed you're even considering swapping any gretsch for a guitar you've never even played or heard.
    Plus if you check prices i think you'll find the Jet is a lot more $$$ - and for good reason.

If you don't like the powertrons (not my choice in any gretsch) there's plenty other better PUP options for under $250 like
    - TV Jones classics - best PUPs $$ can buy imo;
    - T Almond dynasonics (also TV Jones) are considered the best dynasonics by most gretsch players.
    - Gretsch HS Filtertrons - almost as great as TVJ classics imo

bender likes this.
  7. bender

bender Member

Cool--think I'll go for TV Jones Classics--they should be able to pop right into the same spot, eh?

8. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I'm with wax on the tv jones classics. I have them in a knotty pine roundup and they are really really great. Along with all the usual sounds you'd expect they actually work really well with some heavy overdrive

9. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

There are various mounting options check the website. I also double checked by asking them and they answered right away

10. feet

feet Supporting Member

i'd much rather have the gretsch and i'd be pleasantly surprised if the prs was as good in any way. tv jones also make the dynasonic style pickups to fit the powertron sized route. its a new option and they are sonically identical.

personally, i've been using supertrons for many a year, but i'd really like to try a power jet.

11. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I have a power jet. Not snowballs chance in hell Id trade it for a prs.

Before you swap pickups, try bypassing the individual volume pots. Its very easy, and easy to put back if you dont like it. In mine, it was like taking the blanket off the sound. They are a good bit brighter, and to my ears, much more ballanced.

Pm me if you need instructions. I can take a pic of the mod and send it if you like.