Sabra-Som Shockmount - I Forgot To Tell GPers About This

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Mar 10, 2006.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Hey, I've been using this Sabra-Som universal shockmount with a wide variety of mics in my studio, and I've been meaning to mention it here, but have been forgetful. Google this product. It's simple to use, inexpensive, and it works. I have the quick-release mount version.

If you're like me, and you use several mics during sessions, one big royal pain in the ass is dealing with a bunch of shockmounts for your mics, screwing the mic into them, screwing the assembly to the mic stand, lots of screwing, no coming. If you get my drift...So...um...

So this thing adjusts a bunch of ways, the top and bottom rings move up and down and tighten in place with a thumbscrew; it has a quick-release mount, and you basically use the top and bottom elastic creatively to keep the mic from falling through. Very simple, and it works. Some of the parts are metal, and the rings are some kind of tough plastic. I've had no problems with it in the 6 months I've been using it.

I can use it with anything from a little 414 to a heavy U89 to a large Oktava, to small diaphragm mics, to 57s...I mean, anything.

Mine is usually affixed to the end of my old fashioned, heavy-duty Atlas stand and boom. I snap the mount off to put a new mic in, snap it back onto the boom via its quick release mount, and bingo, I am in business without any fuss. Putting a mic in takes about 15 seconds.

I don't think it would be great for hanging a mic upside down, so if that's something you need to do, use the shockmount that came with your mic.

For me, however, not having to fuss with a fiddly shock mount spider or, worse, one of those vintage style shocks that come with Blue mics, is a godsend when I'm in a hurry during an ad session. Plus the plastic rings are far less likely to scratch the mic than those metal claws that most shockmounts are made out of. Granted, this is not one of those gorgeous, beautifully finished, impressive pieces of gear. It's what it is. A convenience item that works, adjusts to a lot of mics, is inexpensive, and keeps you from having to buy an overpriced shock for each mic (I realize that a lot of mics simply come with them these days, but still...).

Anyway, I do like this product.

2. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Now that sounds handy dandy. Gonna Google it soon. Thanks.

3. krash

krash Member

on the same note, we have a bunch of these:

http://www.tensimount.com/

An Oktava MK-219 will fit in it (barely) and it holds SD condensers, SM57s etc great, and they are cheap. I think we have about 10 of them and use them all the time.

4. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

I like the Sabra Som a lot too, but the one thing that's sometimes a pain is that heavier mikes flop around a bit because the tension on the supporting cords can't keep them stable. It's only a problem if you fail to support the mike's cable, though, so I don't mean it as a serious criticism, just an observation. I do think it's a great product and I have two of 'em.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>but the one thing that's sometimes a pain is that heavier mikes flop around a bit because the tension on the supporting cords can't keep them stable.>>

True. There are times when you simply need one of those old fashioned shock mounts, especially with a very large or heavy mic.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I rarely use shockmounts, but that X/Y mount looks very useful. Much more configurable than the cheap one I got from GC.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>I rarely use shockmounts<<

They're not needed in many applications. One reason I always use them is simply to protect the mic from being bumped, hitting the pop screen, etc.

You know how fussy I am about my gear.