Sad about my Carman Ghia

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Zane, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Zane

Zane Member

I bought a used Ghia head a couple months ago. I finally got a cabinet. I played it a couple hours last night though tha cab sounded purty good.
    I bought some NOS tubes that came today. I put the tubes in &...... It made a deep bassy humming sound ..I could still hear the guitar then it just died. The light on the front of the amp went out... no power at all. You think it's something to do with the tubes ..or just a coincidence that the amp died after putting the tubes in it?:(

2. Troy Baer

Troy Baer Member

Check the fuses; I'll bet one of them blew. If you replace it and the replacement blows too, it's time to see the amp doctor.

3. Zane

Zane Member

Yeah I emailed "Z" last night before I went to work. I didn't expect to get an answer till Monday. >>But I got home this morning & he had emailed & told me to replace the fuse & put the old tubes in ..he said only a bad rectifier or bad outputs would cause that ...So I'll put the old ones in. The recifier that was in it before is a NOS RCA,I should've left it in there I have a sneaky suspicion the "new" NOS is probably the culprit....Well I'm tired from working all night >>>BUT I got to find out .:confused:

4. Zane

Zane Member

Well I put the RCA rectifier in,replaced the fuse it worked but still had the humming noise,& blew the fuse again.So I replaced the power tubes & walla. It worked no noise no blown fuse. I got to looking at my tube stash & found some RCA power tubes. I don't even remember buying. I put them in. Now I have RCA all the way down the line. I sounds FANTASTIC!!! Now all I have to do is send back the funky tubes & get my moola back. Thanks for the info guys.:dude :dude :dude

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

And a tip of the hat to Dr Z, as well. He takes good and prompt care of his amp owners!!!

Glad it worked out okay for you in the end.

Kiwi

6. Zane

Zane Member

10/4 on that Big Daddy!!