Sad News Regarding Levon Helm

Griz

It's difficult to overestimate Levon's influence, as one of the iconic voices of The Band, on popular music. To borrow from Clapton's observation, for many of us he has been instrumental in changing our musical perception, changing our world. I'm grateful we've had him with us.

Thank you, Levon. God bless & God speed.

lewisanderson

Levon Helm is not a GOOD drummer/singer. In the words of a post on another thread, the man is a f**king national treasure.

Last edited:

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
lewisanderson said:
Levon Helm is not a GOOD drummer/singer. In the words of a post on another thread, the man is a f**king national treasure.

Yeah he is

mprvise

Just home from my weekly duo gig. Did all The Band tunes we could think of. The Levon show I saw a few years ago was one of my top five of all time - so good. Spoke with a few of Levon's extened family a few weeks ago and got the feeling things were not lookin good - so sad...

straticus

Such sad news. He's one of the greats and I have huge respect for him as a musician and a person. Prayers for a peaceful departure.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
"If I had my way about it, we'd probably do it every night," Helm said. "I never get tired of it."

schultzvil

In the Clean Channel
Gold Supporting Member
respect for one THE greats.
Kept his head high all through the years, and stayed true to the music.
Something everyone should look up to.
Peace for him and love to his family.

stuco

What a great guy, and one of my favorite musicians. This guy has devoted his entire life to making great music, MUCH respect for Levon. We will miss you brother...

JeffG.

I get back to Ithaca once a year and I kept saying I was going to take a day and go up there to catch a show or just see the barn. You can tell the value of a man when he's in trouble and a huge number of friends show up to help him out. Good southern gentleman, they don't make as many of those as they used to.....

drive-south

Levon is one of the greatest! He has a knack for bringing great musicians together. I was so blessed to be able to see him at Newport Folk Festival a few years back. He didn't disappoint either.

Unlike most bands that have a horn section, Levon really lets the horn players stretch out and play. He gives each musician enough space to express themselves and never tries to hog the stage or spotlight.

Also really like the fact that he has encouraged and helped his daughter begin a career and many other young players. He appeared on an Arlen Roth disk a few years back and they had Arlen's daughter Lexie, as well as Levon's daughter Amy both singing on the disk. Check out "Touring around Woodstock". They also had Bill Kirchen and Sonny Landreth on this project as well. It's so typical for Levon to attract the best of the best.

So now we have a whole new generation of musicians of Levon's caliber to carry on after Levon leaves for that big gig in the sky. Still it will be a tough pill to swallow when we lose Levon and it appears that day is close at hand.

Top Bottom