Saddest songs ever

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I chanced upon this song as a lonley, friendless 8th grader. I would have given my left arm just to have a girl pay attention to me. More than any other song I know, this one takes me back like no other, even 35 years later.

"With your triumphs and your charms..."

Sam Xavier

Never encountered a song that made me cry but the most unremittingly miserable song I ever heard - so much so I thought it was a piss take - is After All by Bowie.

Turns out he was completely serious. :)

Scrototone

"With your triumphs and your charms..."
So many poingant & relatable lines in that song..."I know it's over, and it never really began, but in my heart, it was so real..."

I know age-wise, TGP skews towards a certain generation, but I'm still really surprised it took 6 pages for this to come up in a list of sad songs.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
So many poingant & relatable lines in that song..."I know it's over, and it never really began, but in my heart, it was so real..."

I know age-wise, TGP skews towards a certain generation, but I'm still really surprised it took 6 pages for this to come up in a list of sad songs.
The soundtrack of my teen years was dominated by music like this^ that might be considered sad. If I started listing those tunes, I might never stop. In terms of Smiths tunes, I'd at least add "Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me" and "Please, Please, Please Let Met Get What I Want."

The following three don't make me cry, but their beginnings fill me with a particularly keen melancholy, and I'm not entirely sure why:

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
This is the saddest song for me.

A friend of mine who's helped me through some tough times always says she knows when to be worried about me by the number of Spiritualized albums in my car glove box.

Arcadia

Silver Supporting Member
Let It Be is a song that if you listen to it in the right moment, like after losing a loved one, can bring the tears.

If You Could Read My Mind is a sad song, can't say it's made me cry though.

Uncle Bob

This one is a banger, but the lyrics always leave me hoping ol' Jessie found a new place to live.

bbsomm

Silver Supporting Member
in all seriousness, Isbell writes some painful but beautiful songs.

my overall votes though would go to:

In my time of need - Ryan Adams
Adagio for Strings- Samuel L. Barber

and on a personal note, I can't hear fools rush in by Elvis without tearing up, and I have no idea why.

Trending Topics