• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Saddle options for MIM Strat

pennylink

I wanted to order a set of saddles from Raw Vintage, but they don't make them to fit a 2 1/16" MIM Strat bridge. I know Callaham does, but his trem block sounded too bright in my Strat, so I'm a little worried about the saddles being bright also. Any opinions on this subject? Does anyone else make quality saddles that fit a 2 1/16" bridge?

pennylink

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
I think the whole Callaham brightness issue is exaggerated, though I can appreciate using discretion, because not all after-market parts sound best on every instrument. I have them on an '08 American Standard and mim JV. The JV is already a pretty bright guitar, and though the trem block is a bit smaller, it is made of steel, and sounds fine to me. I think a Callaham block might be a bit much for it, but it sounds fine with the Callaham saddles and the 6 hardened steel bridge mounting screws, which I wouldn't say made it brighter, but definitely clearer. I love the Cal block in the AS, as well as saddles and tension springs. I was a little concerned about copper showing through on a couple of his saddles that developed divots from strings. I mentioned it here and someone responded that all chromed parts have copper beneath, but if you believe what Raw Vintage says about that, they tell a different story.

drolling

I wanted to order a set of saddles from Raw Vintage, but they don't make them to fit a 2 1/16" MIM Strat bridge. I know Callaham does, but his trem block sounded too bright in my Strat, so I'm a little worried about the saddles being bright also. Any opinions on this subject? Does anyone else make quality saddles that fit a 2 1/16" bridge?
The MIMs have yet a different sized bridge than EITHER American or Japan-made strats?

I ordered a set of Raw Vintage saddles for my MIJ '50s strat and they sent me ones spec'd for the USA model

I'd overlooked the fact that the MIJ's parts are slightly different (metric), and the dealer never thought to ask.. Good thing I read the package before attempting the installation!

They were quickly exchanged and have been on the guitar ever since

Sorry to hear about your experience w/Callaham's block. I've got one in the same guitar I referred to above. The improvement in tone, over the original pot metal part, has made it one of the most effective mods I've ever performed on any guitar

bmutlu

Raw Vintages avaliable only 2 space,2 3/16 (vintage) and 2 1/8.Not 2 1/16.

I recommend 2 1/8 spaced Wilkinson bridge,you can use it without modification.

Trending Topics