Saddle shim

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mel, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mel

mel Member

Hi,
    due to excess sanding to get my saddle to sit true on the UST, I now find my action is a little too low. In the short term I intend to cut a shim from an old credit card and insert that between the UST and the bridgeslot bottom. Any comments on this as a temp fix until I can get a blank to shape a new bridge?
    At present , I have a bone saddle, but B-Band actually recommend using a TUSQ type of saddle to get a better transfer to the UST. So, should I replace with a plastic saddle?
    Cheers,
    Mel

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

If the pickup balance is good then there's no reason to replace the saddle. You're not going to get any better tone with a tusq, but they are a more consistent material than bone, which can occasionally transfer unevenly to the transducer, though this is rare with good quality bone. And the shim's not hurting anything, assuming your saddle slot is deep enough to support it well after the shim and UST.

3. geetarman

geetarman Member

I agree with David a good quality bone or ivory saddle like a Colosi works fine with UST's that what I use on all my acoustics.

4. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

As for the shim, aluminum foil is a much better material than credit card. You can easily shape it and it will conform to the shape of both the saddle and saddle slot which is important for efficient energy transfer. Obviously a new saddle is needed, but aluminum foil will work fairly efficiently in the meantime.

Good luck!

5. in a little row

in a little row Member

Many UST makers recommend the shim idea (I think it was even it Fishman's offical manual)...string balance and volume are very sensitive to materials and seating...I would recommend a new saddle before shimming as a permanent solution...plastic no, bone or tusq sure...I prefer pre-ban ivory or bone, and I like micarta better than tusq

I reason tusq is often recommended is because organic materials can have structural irregularities affecting tone, balance and strength, most synthetic replacements dont...

In my experience, wood makes the best shim...under the pickup element...

j

6. mel

mel Member

Cheers guys,
    I will try the shim under the UST as suggested for now. then a new bone blank to shape a permanent replacement.
    :BEER

Mel

7. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I agree... and you should glue it to the bottom of the saddle.

Good luck - jv