Saddle Upgrades For Tele?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Teahead, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Teahead

Teahead Member

I have Graphtech replacements on my Tele, I got them because I used to break strings often on stage. I have calmed my right arm with the passing of time and would now like to replace the Graphtechs with a three piece brass type.

I am clueless as to what might be available and would appreciate any suggestions or links that you think I should check out. Please also comment on how suggested replacements might influence tone, tuning stability, intonation and playability?

I have few expectations, merely hoping to spice up my sound with a little more articulation, bite, character and sparkle. The guitar in question is a lowly US Std. Tele with Kinman Broadcaster pick ups and gauge 11 strings dropped a semi-tone... if that helps in any way?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

3. stucker

stucker Member

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I put a Glendale Twang set on my great '63 RI Tele and they are terrific!

5. GDSblues

GDSblues Member

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I put a set of Glendale stainless on my '98 Tele and have found them to have more accurate intonation than the Callaham brass I'd had on there for some years.

I also put KTS saddles on my Tele Junior which certainly increased the ring factor on this guitar (set neck, mahogany, chambered body). They may be too bright for a more standard Tele style though.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I have the Glendale brass saddles on my Nocaster and really appreciate them. Great intonation and a very well thought-out design. Worth the $50. I'm pretty sure they are having a sale on bridge/saddle sets right now for $99.

Bryan

8. PaulM

PaulM Member

+1. FWIW, I am informed that the detemple titaniums I bought were made by KTS. I also have callaham brass, as well as a variety of fender saddles. Love the titaniums, not overly bright, as one poster conjectured. Loads of sustain, like the way they sound.