Saddles and string grooves

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by deejayen, Mar 9, 2020.

1. deejayen

deejayen Member

I've bought a set of Callaham saddles for a Strat. I've not taken much notice of saddles before, but was under the impression that they would have a small groove for the string to sit in to prevent it moving side-to-side on the saddle. These saddles seem to be completely smooth. I'm hoping that this is okay!

2. Timtam

Timtam Member

3. deejayen

deejayen Member

Thanks for that. The Highwood ones look nice. I'll see how I get on with the Callahams, but I may end up buying a set of the Highwoods...

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

strat saddles don't have that, when they get a groove worn in them then it's time to replace them

jens5 likes this.
  5. RLD

RLD Member

Ha ha...I went to this site and right on the opening page they actually use this...
    "Vintage Stratocaster Saddles always chew up my hand when I palm-mute" (Quote from a TGP forum member.)
    Trying to determine if this gives or takes away credibility...? :D

Timtam likes this.
  6. deejayen

deejayen Member

Is there any possibility of the strings slipping on the saddles when bending? I presume there isn't if Strats have always been like this.

For what it's worth, the guitar I'm fitting the saddles to is a Les Paul Junior with through-body stringing and a Gibson Nighthawk bridge.

After Timtam linking to the Highwood saddles I've read that not everyone likes the sound of the Callaham saddles. I was tempted to order a set of Highwoods, but the Callahams were quite expensive, so I'll try them out first.

7. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Of course, but so what? Is not the string slipping on the fret while you're bending? What's critical is if it comes back to where it was to begin with, which is why you don't always want slots on the saddles, or at least not wear points. A deliberate slot isn't necessarily a Bad Thing, but wear points can be inconsistent.

Price is not necessarily a good indicator. Nothing against Callaham's stuff - their parts are definitely well-done, and some of the nicest parts out there - but accepting opinions as facts is too often poor practice, especially with something as subjective as tonal characteristics. For example, GHS pickups are remarkably good parts but a lotta people are afraid of them because they're surprisingly inexpensive.

8. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

:agree