Saddles Broke

stratguy23

So, I had some Graphtech String Saver saddles on my main guitar that has a Floyd Rose, and one of them cracked, so I called about a replacement, but they no longer make this model, so they offered me a discount to buy their new version. I am considering that, but I want to explore some other options as well, so I was thinking, does anyone make piezo saddles for a Floyd Rose bridge?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
were these the ones where the whole thing was made of the black "string saver" material?

what an obviously bad idea!

the new ones are metal like they should be, with just an insert of the graph tech material for the string to rest on, with or without the piezo pickups.

They shoulda sent you a new set, gratis. That early design was a misfire, imo.

I really like Graphtech and Tusq nuts. But for most players, Graphtech or Tusq saddles are like throwing the proverbial blanket over the speaker cabinet. They remove more than just the sharp burrs that cut strings. They Child Proof the whole guitar (sound wise) and I don't like that.

stratguy23

Yes, it was the older design that was the solid string saver material. They told me they discontinued it because it broke a lot. I think I'm just going to put the original saddles back on till I can find a new set of saddles. What would be some good ones for the best tone?

chervokas

They shoulda sent you a new set, gratis. That early design was a misfire, imo.

I really like Graphtech and Tusq nuts. But for most players, Graphtech or Tusq saddles are like throwing the proverbial blanket over the speaker cabinet. They remove more than just the sharp burrs that cut strings. They Child Proof the whole guitar (sound wise) and I don't like that.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I had a guitar with a Floyd Rose, like the OP, and it was clangy and overly bright and one saddle buzzed like a sitar, and Graphtech saddles solved all those problems. I love the smooth even tone and body now, but sometimes I do miss the brashness. Good think I have other guitars w/o Graphtech saddles.

Graphtech nuts & saddles are all made of TUSQ, not graphite.

They actually have a very flat and extended frequency response, but many people prefer the bright 2khz tone spike of a metal saddle. It has been described by some as "listening to high def speakers after years of consumer level ones. First impression, they sound duller as the evenness of the extra content takes some getting use to"

Trending Topics