Sadness is breaking a long plate Mullard...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Jun 4, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The damned tube covers on my Crate Vintage Club head have REALLY strong springs in them. If I dont put them on carefully they sometimes break a tip off a tube. Tis time it was one of my cherished Mullard 1959 long plate 12AX7's. I was bummed.:( [​IMG]

2. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I've done that to two Mullard long plates :FM ....they are known for having weak/thin glass around the base....I'll bet yours cracked there too? I really baby these tubes when I install and remove them now.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

1959? Ah, get rid of that old junk and put something brand new in there. ;)

I think we've all trashed perfectly good tubes at one time or another. Count your blessings it wasn't one of a set of four matched output tubes. :)

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

:jo My condolences go out to you.

I've got a little shrine of broken tubes that I still can't bear to discard. I hope the collection of shattered dreams remains small.

- T

p.s. - if you ever get a chance to compare an RCA black-plate 12AX7 with a Tung-Sol black-plate 12AX7, I'd like to hear your impressions of their differences.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

In fact Ive got a couple Tung Sol BP's and a bunch of RCA's. I havent gotten around to comparing them yet but when I do I'll let you know.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Better to trash a tube than an amp! I kept a really nice Mullard GZ34 that the key had broken off because I liked the sound. Put it into my Superbaby once too often, toasted the PT. Kurt was kind and resurrected it, but all the tubes without keys went straight into the garbage!