Sadowsky owners?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Stratclaw, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

Just wondering if anyone here has played or owns any of Rodger's Classic models? How does it compare to Suhr's Classics? I appreciate any insight.

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I had one pass through as part of a trade a couple years ago. It was one of those guitars that I wish I had been able to keep (which is not part of the marital arrangement). I haven't played many Suhrs, so I can't really compare them, but the Sadowsy was possibly the most enjoyable Strat I had ever played. I have nothing but positives to say about it.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I used to own one of his basses... now I'm not much of a bass player, but I thought it was easily the best bass I've ever played and it cut through the mix incredibly both live and in the studio. It'd be a luxury item since I'm not a bass player, but I'd like to own one again sometime, if for no other reason than to have one for bass players to use on my recprdings or on sessions I produce...

Haven't played one of his guitars, yet... the basses have great resale value, and Roger Sadowsky is fantastic at customer service. Call him up he'll talk to you personally on the phone and tell you what's what...

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

As far as comparing to Suhr: I've only played Suhr Guitars and I've only played Sadowsky basses, but the one thing I can say is that the quality we've all come to expect in terms of fit, finish, craftsmanship and customer service from Suhr is definitely there from Sadowsky

5. shoe

shoe Member

I've had experience with both. Both play perfectly and the craftsmanship is top notch. Just like comparing Suhrs and Andersons, once you're at this level, its not a "who's better" question, its more a matter of personal preference. Based on what woods each builder works with and what they're know for (design-wise), its their own idiosyncracies that make a player go one way or the other.

6. smalahove

smalahove Member

+1 :)

7. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

Shoe, I noticed you play Suhrs----what was it about them that entered your realm of "preferences"? I owned Andersons in the past, and they were too thin and somewhat sterile to my taste. Interested in your take.

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

We need to save this somewhere so we can just link to it next time there's a "Tyler vs. Suhr" or whatever thread.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Do you mean that they sounded too thin, or the neck/body was too thin?

10. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

It sounded too thin. The "feel" factor was lacking.

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

The bass player in my band plays a Sadowsky J style. What a great bass!
    I own a Fodera Monarch fretted 4...again, no slouch by any means. The craftsmanship is equal between both axes. There has been alot of drool spilled on both of them. :D
    I agree totally that, when you get to the level of Sadowsky, Suhr, Tyler, Thorn, Koll, JG, Baker, Chapin, Heatley, Briggs, etc. It's all about personal preferences...because these luthiers RULE, gang.

S.
    j

12. shoe

shoe Member

For starters, I discovered John's work via Pensa Suhr first. The first time I played an old Pensa Suhr it played so effortlessly that I felt I had never played better in my life......the guitar just "got out of the way" and let the music just flow right out of me.

After that I started to do my homework and played everything out there. In the end, I stumbled upon the neck shape I love (Even C Medium) and also fell in love with the sound of John's pickups. In the end, I'd be happy to play Andersons or Sadowsky's.....but the combination of playability and the tone of John's pickups just did it for me....I was hopelessly hooked!

One other important note.....as I do with almost any store-bought guitar, the moment I get the instrument home I usually change the strings to my favorite type (at the time Ernie Ball Slinky 10's) and do my other set-up tweaks to make it totally my own. When I did this on my frist Suhr, the guitar suddenly didn't play as silky smooth and didn't quite sound the same! I was shocked......what the hell happened????

Well, it turns out that at the time John used Elixir Nanoweb 10's (can't now because of the Plek process) and that was the final secret ingredient to superb playability. I actually called John to verify what was on the guitar when it was shipped and I've beed hooked ever since. If you haven't tried Elixir Nanoweb's, you should!

13. leond

leond Supporting Member

I was the owner of this Sadowsky and it was truly a great Strat style guitar. It had Barden pickups and with his mid boost preamp, it could cover all the basses. The only reason I don't have it today is because Jim took it in as a trade towards a Swan.

I've never play a Suhr but two points I'd like to make about the Sadowsky:

1. He designs his instruments to be played in the professional environment of NYC. That means instruments that play in tune, don't make a lot of noise and are versatile tone wise. With the mid boost eq, that guitar could cover humbucker territory which would allow a person to be able to take only one guitar on a gig.

2. While his guitars are under rated, his basses aren't. He's worked with most of the top bass players out there. And if you call him up, chances are, you'll talk with Roger on the phone and he'll treat you like you're his number one customer. His customer service is similar to the best on the Gear Page.

LeonD

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have owned 6 Sadowsky guitars and basses since 1990. I have 5 in my arsenal now. I love 'em obviously

I chose them over Suhr because you get his preamp which is neat.Without the preamp they are very similar to Suhr and can't go wrong either way. You have more options with Suhr. Roger's tremelo is fantastic and the guitars (and basses) are super quiet and top notch from every aspect: woods, fit and finish, electronics, shielding, playability. His customer service is without peers.

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member