Sadowsky Semihollow video

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jb70

jb70 Member

nice video jack. sounds great. i was fortunate to play a couple of roger's semi-hollow's when i was picking my tele up at his shop. they were the finest semi-hollow's i've ever played. this actually makes me want to sell my ibanez as-200 to get one.

2. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

That sounds great Jack!! Sounded amazing after added the zen. A BIG THANKS for doing these reviews. It is such a big help. How do you feel it compares to your el rey? It looks as if you are looking for an axe that sounds great for straight ahead jazz and great for fusion/rock as well. If so, it looks like thats it to me. Great complex clean jazz tones. Not bright yet not dark if that makes sense. Great dirty sounds as well. Convenient as thats what I want too. :)
    Thanks again Jack!

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Great as usual... I think the vids are better with the new camera eh?

Good stuff and thats a nice sounding guitar.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Great playing and vid, Jack. That sounds like an amazing guitar for a pretty reasonable price considering what some customs go for.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

vids are much better. Struggling with the audio though...I'm now going direct on the axefx but using a lapel mic for the voice. Not happy with the results of that.

6. jzucker

1. It's an amazing instrument. Extremely versatile, light, wonderful upper fret access, perfectly balanced. (Are you listening Hamer, PRS?)
    2. It blows away the Pat Martino. There is a scathing review of martino guitar on my semihollow page (www.sheetsofsound.net/semihollow.htm) done by esteemed guitarist Joe Jewell. I concur with his review. The martino guitar sounded dead to me. The Gibson 336 sounded good but was neck heavy and not very airy.
    3. I have not played a 339
    4. I had a hofner jazzica for a while. The maple neck/ebony board along with the mini humbucker pushed into the "middle" position by having 24 frets makes for a brighter, thinner sound than I was looking for.

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

I really didn't need to see that video (as I don't need another guitar in my life right now).

Video did a pretty good job of conveying the good tones coming out of this guitar.

I like your look without the beret much better. ;) Soul patch trumps headgear any day.

8. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

Nice guitar, but WOAH, great playing. A lot of Jazz just sails straight over my head, but I found your chord voicings and lead playing to be very interesting. Thanks for posting that, and enjoy your new guitar - John

9. hottub

hottub Member

really beautiful guitar Jack. enjoyed all the different styles of playing too!

10. jzucker

Thanks. One thing that makes a difference is vibrato. I think too many jazz guitarists don't end their phrases with a vibrato and it sounds unnatural to me. I didn't always feel this way and in fact, have played many a solo in the very style that sails over peoples' heads...

11. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Georgeous tone.

Playin stella

12. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    That's beautiful Jack. Glad you found a guitar that suits your specific needs.
    I really enjoyed the playing.. and noticed the subtle vibratos capping off the runs ... very nice.
    I agree about your comment ... one player who I used to love a lot back in 73 , and has a great vibrato was Bill Connors - he had a great post Clapton rock vibrato that he mixed well with elegant scalar patterns, and def ended just about EVERY phrase with vibrato ... his 80's material was a little too Holdsworth clone for me... but now he has gone mainstream/arch top trad jazz ... not as adventurous or intense - but he does match his excellent vibrato with post Martino type playing.
    You might like it.

contrary to what the verbage w this vid says - it's Bill in this one
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=o_FTR0gajhw

also in this one
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lFP-alYNq5I

I saw the first incarnation of that band w Stanley on acoustic and Steve Gadd - doing the Flora era flamenco material in april 73- one of the great lost Jazz rock statements.

anyway - enjoy the beautiful guitar

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Great clip Jack and it answers my question on the first thread...to my ear it does get a better traditional jazz tone than the 335 although I'm unsure what role the Axe FX plays in comparison to my 335 through a Super Reverb.

What camera did you get? And what about the audio wasn't working for you?

Thanks for posting this.

stratzrus

Edit: I just watched the clip three times back to back...really great tones, and of course the playing is right there as well...got GAS again dammit!

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

What's it strung with, Jack?

15. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

Here's another vid using the Sadowsky. This one actually used to belong to Jack. My vid is not as pro.... the audio and video are not well sync'd, and the camera is cheap and lo res, but you can get the "idea"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS9UeDxv2c8

16. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

6stringjazz,

That was awesome. Really great from start to finish. Did I hear some Johnny Smith stuff it there? Fabulous, really.

Thanks for posting.

Jeff

17. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

18. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

very nice! wonderful playing too.

19. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...great tones and stellar playing!