Safe way to test Marshall head using my AC15c1?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by quadrogong, Feb 18, 2015.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I've got a friend coming over with his JCM900 100 wt head and the only thing w speakers I have to test it with is my AC15 combo

Is there a safe way to quickly test the head using my combo as a speaker?
    w some amps like Fenders, u can detatch the speakers from the amp and use it as an extension cab,but I don't think they unplug on the Vox.
    There are some 1/4" output jacks in back, for ext speakers but nothing else except the main inputs on top. Then there's an impedance switch in back,
    Is there anything I can do to quickly test this thing without blowing them both up? ( the back panel has a zillion screws, so I won't attenpt to look inside, I havent a drill anyway)

Or definitely not, there's no safe way, don't attenpt it, even for a few seconds

2. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I don't believe you will find a way with the Vox to test out the 100 watt JCM 900.

Do you have a local music store where you could take the head and plug into something they might have?

3. zenas

zenas Member

You'd have to unhook the speaker from the Vox and plug it into the 900 with the impedance selector set right.
    However I'm pretty sure that Vox speaker isn't anywhere near the power handling needed for a 100 watt Marshall.
    Be ok if you don't turn it up too far but there's no "watts gauge" to tell you when you have too much.

4. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

Yeah I don't want to open her up thnx!

5. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I took the head on the honor system, untested
    and I'll have a cabinet soon