Safest way to deal with Craigslist shipping?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by WineCaster, Mar 18, 2015.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Supporting Member

I'm pursuing a guitar from a craigslist ad in which the guitar would need to shipped. How can I protect my PayPal payment in the chance that the seller skates without shipping the item?

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Don't do it is the safest way. It says "deal locally" right on their splash page...

3. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

I wouldn't do any shipping through craigslist. In person cash transactions is all I will do.

4. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I've done it with a few things, on both sides. Never had problems, but I agree it takes a little more caution.

A phone call or preferably a Skype/Facetime with the other person is a must. Lots of up front communication. If something feels wrong about the conversation or the transaction, even the tiniest detail, then move on and find another guitar. Whatever you are looking to buy - others exist out there.

But if all that checks out and you agree to a deal, definitely don't do Pay Pal Gift.

The reality is that most people selling online are decent people and can be trusted. But for sure cover your rear end and use more caution than normal on a deal like this.

5. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

I once shipped a Nash Esquire from New Orleans to Mobile, AL but I first vetted him by talking to him over the phone and checking out his office phone number online , as that's where he wanted it shipped. I believed he was truly a Dentist and the transaction went down without a hitch.

Except that he called me shortly after receiving the guitar and said the volume knob doesn't work. Oops, I forgot to tell him the volume and tone knobs were reversed on the Nash!