Safest way to use MIDI keyboards on stage

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Thames, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Thames

Thames Member

Hi guys

Im relatively new to the whole MIDI/keyboard thing and I have a question :

- What is the safest way to use MIDI/keyboard on-stage ? I mean, in a case where a keyboardist has a laptop (running Reason), with an EDIROL USB midi interface, and a Roland EP-7 keyboard (standard old-school midi port). The question is mostly related to the WINDOWS-based laptop... you never know when Windows will crash or something...

Is there any "dedicated box" in which I can push the sound banks or whatever, and get rid of the laptop ?

2. torgeot

torgeot Member

yeah, there a lot of hardware sequencers you can use, many keyboard workstations have a sequencer built-in so you can upload a midi file and play right from the keyboard.

3. AlChuck

AlChuck Member

It sounds like he's not talking about sequencing onstage, he's talking about the sounds on the laptop - soft synths...

4. scienceguy

scienceguy Silver Supporting Member

Not sure what's available, but at the very least you'll want a voltage regulator for all your digital stuff. One brown out or spike and you might be kissing your equipment goodbye.

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

There used to be a ton of hardware tone generators out there, you can find them used if you look around. Maybe not the same sound quality as the software-based programs of today, but they were getting the job done on stages and in studios for many years.

6. dlab

dlab Member

I would not trust a Windows machine for dependable performance in that type of situation. I speak from experience. If you're playing your local bar it might not be such a big deal, but if you're on a national tour it's a different story.

Minimum, you want to run them on a Mac laptop.

If you really want to "go pro" with it, this is what you need: http://www.museresearch.com/products/index.php