said no one ever......

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

"Ya know, I understand you are running a business, have a family to take care of , lots of overhead. You know I work for a living too, so I'm not gonna try to haggle every penny I can get from you on this deal. In fact I'll pay your price and hope we can build a good trusting relationship."

said no one ever ?

Oh wait, W C Fields just stuck his head in the door and said. " Never give a sucker and even break , ahhh yes "

have an hour to spend ? It's worth it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcomeIxQddI

2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Or how about ;

"I understand that not a single topic will ever be unanimous so I will respect your opinion even though it differs from mine and will never use sarcasm, insults, or express frustration that the world is not populated entirely of carbon copies of me. It's our differences that make this world interesting. I will respect your viewpoint and will therefore be able to continue a civil discourse on the topic."

3. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

You're absolutely right.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Actually, I did have a client say something very similar to that. He was buying about $5000 worth of stuff and I said "if you also buy "x", I can save you some money on the whole package." He said OK, "I'll take that too, but charge me full retail and I'll pay cash."

I chuckled to myself and said "Yes sir, if that's what you'd like, I can do that." I was kinda shocked, excused myself for a second and got the owner of the store. He said the client wasn't joking and to charge him full retail.

Later I found out that the client used to come into the store when he was a broke law student and the owner always took care of him and even bought him food sometimes when he was hungry. His law firm became very successful and as he got wealthy, he'd buy whatever he could from the store and insisted on paying retail and paying cash...Unbelievable, but true.

5. GasMask

GasMask Member

That's a great story!

6. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

7. lendryesky

lendryesky Supporting Member

I'm not trying to float my own boat here, but enter apophasis...

I usually tip my guitar tech, and I've asked others before if they do the same. Most do not. He always seems surprised when I give him an extra money for than what he quoted me, and asks, "Are you sure?" He does great work and usually does it in a timely manner. The only time he couldn't get my guitar ready within a week (needed a fret level) was earlier this year about three weeks past Christmas. He had literally 30+ guitars to work on. I'm not sure if he still does it, but he sometimes goes into his shop around 2am to catch up so customers don't get in his way while he works. (Every time I'm there the phone rings.)

He's a very friendly guy, does not BS you, nor does he get contentious. I believe he deserves a little extra.

8. Peteyvee

That should be "my luthier"... :rotflmao

9. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Seriously! :bonk

10. lendryesky

lendryesky Supporting Member

Funny, I was going to say "my luthier -- errr, sorry, my guitar tech..." but not sure how many people read that stupid argument.

11. Peteyvee

Several thousand would be my guess... :D

12. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

All of us

13. valcoholic57

valcoholic57 Member

I always do the same. It might only be an extra $20 or so depending on the work. He has cut me plenty of deals on things over the years and to be truthful I look up to him. I'm in my mid 20's and respect a guy that made himself and does what he loves for a living. He always does a great job, timely, and fair. I figure it may not be much but anything helps in this economy and being a small business owner.

14. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

I pay extra for really great service, especially when it involves hard labor.

The last time I moved, I hired an awesome moving company. These guys were amazing; they could do it all. As just one example, they took an oversized cross-training exercise machine -- thing must have weighed 300 pounds and was awkward as all get out -- up three flights of stairs with so much as touching a wall.

And man, were they a deal! At the end of the move, the boss wrote up the invoice and told me it'd cost $400 for the entire move. I gave him a skeptical look, and said, "Are you shitting me???"

He probably thought I was gonna try to chisel him, but I smiled, gave him two extra hundos, and handed $50's to each of the workers on top of that. I told them there was a time when I had to bust my ass like that, and I haven't forgotten what truly hard work is like.

That kind of thing pays you back. Several months later, I needed a gigantic bar moved upstairs. No way I could do it myself, even with a couple of my biggest buddies. I called up the movers, who remembered me immediately and said, "We'll be right over!"

15. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

Don't want to sound uppity, but I very rarely haggle. I try to know approximately what something or some service is worth and, if the vendor is in the ballpark, I pay it with a smile for exactly the reasons you say. If a bid is out of line I may ask about it but I don't chisel once I've decided who I want to do my work. Why would you try to save $25 on a guitar knowing it comes out of the salesguy's small commission?

Oddly enough, the people I use tend to treat me well, too.

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'll haggle over price when buying things, but rarely with people who provide a service.

To "have a guy" that treats you fairly, does great work and will go the extra mile for you is a gift, and should be treated as such.

I'll take my amp tech out to lunch every once in a while, mainly because he's a great guy, but also as a thank you.

I also give my mechanic a case of craft beer every Christmas.

17. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

One time one of the moving guys I used was very industrious, and I suppose one could say horizontally integrated. As we were finishing up the move he said "you know, my other job is as a door to door cable salesman, you're gonna get cable, right?" Of course I bought a nice cable package right on the spot.

18. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I've done it when a guy has worked on my car and charged me much less than expected. I've done it at local private owner music stores.

Probably should do it more often.

In bands we've been paid more than agreed price so it's karma .... maybe .

19. Calaban

Calaban Member

I love that this will never die. Love it. Hall of fame material for sure.

20. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

well ya didn't like my Don Knotts clip so how about this.

24 seconds watch till the end.

bwaaaahaaaa