Sakai $25 CraigsList guitar - need advice on tuning machine

DB Cooper

Picked up a funky little cheap Sakai (made in Japan) import via local CL for $25, included a little chipboard case...figured, why not?

Even all dirty with old, crusty strings, the thing sounds pretty decent actually. Plan on completely cleaning it up, thought about refinishing, but have decided against it since it's just plywood under that finish.

The guitar is missing part of the tuning machine on the high E string - it's got the winder, just missing the screw, gear, and peg. Not sure what to do about the tuning machines. Should I...
1) replace all six (they're pretty stiff)
2) just try to find a screw, gear, and post for the missing one?

For #1, what would I get that would work and be reasonable price-wise? For #2, where would I find those parts?

I am thinking of either giving this guitar to my son to mess around with, or setting the action up a bit and using it with a slide.

Here are some pics, before cleaning...

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc365/DBCoop/Sakai guitar/

Thanks! ~DB

chucke99

I'd double-check that body. It may not be ply. The SAKAI I had was a few pieces of solid wood. I still have the neck and am saving it for when I find an old MIJ body to use with it. (The original body was cracked in half.)

Here's what the tuners look like on mine. I'd say that any 6-in-line set of old MIJ tuners (1/4" posts) would probably work as a replacement.

DB Cooper

I changed the album settings on photobucket, so the pics should be viewable now.

Chucke - my tuners don't look like they - they are all inline, and they're open.

Trending Topics