Sam Ash Fuzz Box

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Dec 1, 2005.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I just checked out some sound samples of this Tommy Bolin used peal over at Tone Frenzy and it is a great sounding riffing and rhythm fuzz/OD sound. Other than Ron Sound, does anyone make a true and accurate copy of the original. Anybody have a perfect working original? Let's hear some replies...

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

a looooong overdue bump!
    I want one, had a Ronsound, but felt it was lacking, but I did like the overall tone of it.

3. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Supporting Member

My first pedal, back in the late 70's, given to me by a friend, sure wish I still had it!

There is a guy here in Cal. that makes a clone (can't remember his name, I'll have to look for it), he offers them on eBay every once in a while at a very reasonable price. I got one a couple years ago, liked it and still have it, although it didn't quite remind me of the Sam Ash.

4. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

5. JackButler

Wow, so cool Mike! I want on the wait list, I don't care how long!

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

That one is on my DIY to do list also. I have a few bigger projects to do first though. The Octubia and Captain Tyconut are at the top of the list.

7. JMarck

JMarck Member

I'm a huge Bolin fan and I have the Ron Sound Teaser Fuzz (an exact clone of the Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx) and it sounds great. Not like the fuzz face gain wise, but put a OD with it and its amazing.

Josh

8. JackButler

I had the Teaser and loved it, but sold it, though I felt it could of had a little more to it. Has anyone directly compared the TEaser to an original, either at once, or over time, even many years? If so, how close are they really? When I sold mine, I asked Ron to build me another one, but with more bass on tap, never heard back from him.

9. fuzzz boxx

fuzzz boxx Member

I have a Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx. I used it once for rhythm guitar line-in to great effect on a recording. I tried to use it live w/ my Marshall 1987 head, and the sound guy complained that it was way too bright at soundcheck and I agreed. Mine's red, and looks like the red one at Analogman's link, but it doesn't have recessed knobs. It looks like a wedge of cheese. The input/output is reversed, strangely - from left to right.

10. JackButler

fuzzz, welcome first of all!
    I liked the brightness of the TEaser (opposed to the normal for once), but if I coulda had more lowend on it, it would have been a real winner.