Samamp VAC 40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tommc, Feb 4, 2012.

1. tommc

tommc Member

Just watched this 64 minute demo of an incredible amp. Any one own one of these and want to comment? There is an index in the description to specific topics if you don't want to watch the whole thing. Be sure to watch the footswitch section. I'm very impressed.

2. Gibson61

Gibson61 Member

Im a Super Reverb guy and I wonder if this is a Super on steroids? Like to try it out, thats for sure.

3. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I don't own one, but I played one at the Nashville Amp Show last year. I really liked it. It had a great clean channel, and the second gain channel was very useable. Anthony did a great job with that demo; he really showed off what the amp can do.

4. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Sam builds great amps! Anthony does great demos!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

I'm watching this now-great video-great tones. Wondering if there are any benefits tonally in the 15inch Vac 23 over the Vac 40 with 2x10s.

6. tommc

tommc Member

Well, there is more to compare in the VAC 23 vs. the 40 than just speaker size as he points out in the Pros/Cons sections so I don't think you can make a good comparison based on one spec (speaker size). On the makers website, he shows prices for a 1x15 40 so it's possibe to have it all if you are a fan of 15s

There are a number of new Samamps listed on eBay which are referred to as Series 3. There is info in these ebay postings that I don't see on the Samamp website. Looks like the controls on the 23 have been modified to be more like the 40; still only one channel.

"New features include 3-way tone switch which has replaced the bright control on the Series 2, and a pull gain switch on the volume control. The pull gain switch bypasses the tone stack for a hot tweed tone.

The V.A.C. presets are: 23, 18, 11, 5, and 3 watts. The Series 3 now features external speaker jacks and can run 1-2 8ohm speakers, or 1 4 ohm speaker. The standard speaker is the 12" Jensen NEO Tornado and tubes are: 6V6 push-pull pair, 12AX7 preamp, and 12AT7 driver."

On of the listing on Ebay of for a 23 with a 15" and the new Series 3 specs.

I sure would like to play one. One of the ebay sellers has a three day return policy which is tempting me. Of course, you have to pay return shipping. I would rather do that than buy an amp I haven't played outright and then take a loss on resale which is always likely.

7. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

First of all, it was the best gear review I have ever watched, and worth seeing even if you have no interest in the amp.
    Secondly, I would say the only reason I would lean towards the 23, especially the 12, is the cost simplicity and the grab and go factor. Otherwise I think the 40 seems to be a much more capable piece of equipment, and 2 x 10 is a great configuration. I also like the controls on the face of the amp.

8. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

i was fortunate to play through one at the music zoo in long island last summer and was very impressed. the VAC 23 was much more grab and go but there was no comparison in terms of overall tone.

9. tommc

tommc Member

Could you elaborate on "no comparison? Did you find the 40 to have "better" tone or simply more options? Did you play the same speaker setup in each? Thanks for a reply

10. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Bumping this informative video~any other users out there?

11. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

The 40 has an entire second channel, so it definitely has more options. Basically, you get the tone of the 23 with the addition of a second channel. Also, the 2-10 configuration was light enough to be a grab and go solution. I'm pretty sensitive to weight, and I didn't think the 2-10 was all that heavy compared to the Twin I used to have.

12. dcj98gst

dcj98gst Member

Can anybody compare the VAC40 to the VAC45? The VAC45 was supposed to be a fenderish clean with a british marshall sounding dirt. It seems that the vac40 moves away from the marshall sounding dirt tones?? VAC45 is no longer made. BTW

13. ASATlove

ASATlove Supporting Member

I think in the Steviesnacks video Anthony says that the 40 will do what the 23 does as far as gain, so I guess the 40 has more tweed gain sounds. I don't know though if, when you do the pull switch if it by passes the tone controls on the 40 like it does on the 23. I have a VAC 23 and am MORE that verry happy with it after about six weeks of ownership.