Samamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarded_1, Aug 25, 2008.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I have searched around and run across some talk of these amps, but no real significant discussion. Anyone have any experience with any of the Samamp models? There's a VAC 40 head at one of the shops here in town and I'll probably swing by and check it out. I'm just curious to get any feedback from people with firsthand experience.

2. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I have a VAC25 and really like it. It's a very versatile amp. Loud tight and clean when you want it, great power tube overdrive at many volume levels and a very good master volume. Also, they are one of the few amps I've played where the pull functions, gain structure, bass, etc.. actually do something useful. It's a great grab and go amp as it can do clean to almost modern heavy overdrive, takes pedals well, and it's very light.

3. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

Are you referring to Sansamp?

4. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I've auditioned several of his amps in stores (don't know the various model names). I found them to be somewhat "hi-fi" sounding, i.e. very clean, articulate and tight. The layout on several of the combos was interesting, with the preamp being mounted at the top of the cabinet and the power section housed in a separate chassis and mounted in the bottom. One combo had a really unique built-in power attenuator using a series of small light bulbs (wierd, but it seemed to work).

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

No...Samamp.

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I've got a VAC 45 1x12 combo in green that is my grab-and-go amp for any small gig. It is a bit hi-fi as mentioned earlier; I think this helps it cut through the mix a little better. It takes pedals really well. Can sometimes sound a little one-dimensional at low volumes, even though it has the light bulb attenuation (VAC) -- cranked up, it sounds killer. I always get comments on how good my tone is when I use it.

Samamps are made in Birmingham, AL by Sam Timberlake, who has been an amp tech in B'ham for a long time; really knows his stuff. My buddy was in a shop trying out amps, played a VAC 45, and immediately called me and told me how great it was. About two weeks later, I was in New Orleans watching a band at a club on Bourbon St. and the lead gtr player was playing a green VAC 45; sounded amazing. I knew right then I had to have that amp. Since then, I've been through handfuls of other amps, and currently own a Louis KR12 and a Komet 60, in addition to the Samamp. I'll never sell the Samamp -- what does that tell you?

Also, if you check out the videos of Allen Hinds playing the pedals on the Xotic website, you can see he is playing through a Samamp head -- killer player, killer tone, excellent amp.

7. seiko

seiko Member

This is pretty much my experience. I have a VAC23, which seems similar to a super charged tweed deluxe, and is a great NYC gigging amp.

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

A friend of mine has a 40 watter. The amp sounds great. Big and bold sounding with great overdrive. Kinda like a sooped up tweed meets Marshall plexi. I really dig it.

9. mtcoolg

mtcoolg Gold Supporting Member

I own a vac45 /green tolex/ single 12. Power attenuation from 5 watts to 45 using the little light bulbs. I have owned the amp for a couple of years and have had no problems other than changing a power tube and a few of the light bulbs. The amp has a british flavor and is great for classic rock. Plenty loud enough for gigs. When you reduce the wattage, you lose clean headroom. The amp really sings in the 30 to 45 watt range. Mine is for sale in a local store right now for $1200. I am more of a Black Face Fender guy and I am jonesing for one of the Vintage Sound Amps.

10. Ascension

Ascension Member

Sam Timberlake through Highland Music here in Birmingham has been my amp tec for years. The amps are the result of years of repairs and his own ideas on design. These are well made and great sounding amps.