Sambora sold his catalog

FokenBusker

I believe he took out a loan on them years before he died. Not sure if he ever paid it off. Bank of America, IIRC?
Sony/ATV is listed,currently, but I thin MJ had a piece of that, too?
My goodness. From The Taxman to The Man, inc. That's rough.

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like Jon has it figured out.
He sure does.
And he’s keeping the publishing.

Two things-
1. I sold the band a Conn strobe tuner and bass strings in 83. Their road manager worked for REO Speedwagon, hence the Champaign/Urbana connection.
He had a really good roadie name, “Beef.”

2. Mark my words; JBJ going to run for political office in the next 10 years. They’re already priming the pump with his “Soul Kitchen” ads.

27sauce

He sure does.
And he’s keeping the publishing.

Two things-
1. I sold the band a Conn strobe tuner and bass strings in 83. Their road manager worked for REO Speedwagon, hence the Champaign/Urbana connection.
He had a really good roadie name, “Beef.”

2. Mark my words; JBJ going to run for political office in the next 10 years. They’re already priming the pump with his “Soul Kitchen” ads.
Well, he’s keeping his split of the publishing.

Wyzard

Silver Supporting Member
Some years ago, a friend of mine asked about hitching a lift on the Bon Jovi jet to get to the USA in a hurry.

Evidently, something was said along the lines of " You could......but it's just not worth it.... You'll have to put up with Jon all the way"

It sounded as if opening a vein would be a preferable option.

sws1

I'll raise you. I bet there is 0 chance of him being a politician. And I say that as someone who actually lives in NJ. (A few miles from the Soul Kitchen...where he actually goes in and washes dishes.)

More power to him. Have no idea really, but he probably started out broke with nothing to lose, but he obviously had a dream, determination and a solid vision of what he wanted to accomplish.

And I'm not even a fan. I wouldn't listen to Bon Jovi even with a Colt .44 Magnum next to my head.

Charlie48

Long ago, far away
About ten years ago, I met a guy in one of my hangouts - my age - who had written a few top 10 folk-rock hits in the 1960s; good stuff but not world changing. He said he had spent his life since hanging out in the Canyons, playing clubs and coffee houses, and just enjoying himself. After a few drinks, he told me that between the $25,000 or so he made from royalties, and the little house he owned free and clear in the hills, he got by just fine.

I sometimes wonder how streaming affected him. That $25,000 a year must have taken quite a hit once Spotify and Pandora got in the mix.

Last edited:

Bossanova

Silver Supporting Member
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/richie-sambora-bon-jovi-merck-mercuriadis-975148/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...154/hipgnosis-richie-sambora-catalog-bon-jovi

So, Richie sold his share of 186 songs he wrote for an unspecified amount. A few years back he told Howard Stern he was making around ~$2 million/month from royalties. I'm guessing the amount of this deal was something he couldn't say no to. I'm also guessing he hasn't been making $20mm/year off of those songs anymore too.

I found this part of a statement by Sambora a bit odd though; "I believe the work he is doing that has transformed the way that the world looks at the power of great songs and the songwriting community is very special. I look forward to working with him and his Hipgnosis team to deliver more success for all of us."

I always figured when these rights were sold, that was it for the writer/artist. I'm curious as to how "more success" would work for him (RS).
Me in 1991: f@ck bon jovi, bunch of sellouts
Me in 2020: f@ck bon jovi, I wish I could sell out

louderock

You'd think that TGP, with all its members, would have someone on here who understood how the record business worked in detail, and could chime in here.
Good info here on how The Beatles lost their publishing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Songs

There are many parts of song ownership. Publishing Share. Writer's Share. The record label owns the Master recording but sometimes bands can negotiate to re-gain control of the master recordings later. The band can choose to re-record their songs and own those recordings. Many bands have done this for licensing purposes.

jbd3

Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear
I'm sure he can get by on Orianthi's royalties.

As a native of Buffalo NY I am inclined to dislike his band (football fans will know what I'm referring to), but, to the man's credit, the solo from "Wanted Dead Or Alive" is fantastic.

Bob Maximus

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure he can get by on Orianthi's royalties.

As a native of Buffalo NY I am inclined to dislike his band (football fans will know what I'm referring to), but, to the man's credit, the solo from "Wanted Dead Or Alive" is fantastic.
he broke up with her in 2018. They claim to still want to tour as RSO