Sambora sold his catalog

SteveO

Didn't the Beatles sell their catalog to Michael Jackson?
No, they didn't own it. Paul tried to buy it then, but was short on capital as he had just sunk most of his money into Give My Regards To Broad Street. Jackson had the money and snatched it up.

when that music was hip, we use to make fun of it and sing lyrics like "Tommy never wore clean socks..." instead of worked on the docks. Now who's laughing? Tide will use it like that and send somebody a fat check!

I should've focused on songwriting.

stratadp

https://www.billboard.com/photos/8465835/highest-paid-musicians-money-makers

These stats do not line up with what is qouted in here at all.

I hear there is a rabbit that delivers painted eggs on Easter too.

Here is an article from December 2019.

With ticket sales figures from over 35 years of live performances, the band’s overall ticket sales revenue surpasses $1.35 billion. Their recorded concert attendance is also one of the highest among the marquee acts in the business, with more than 18 million sold tickets counted at the almost 1,000 shows that were added to the Pollstar database over the years.

This year, Bon Jovi will yet again rank as one of the highest-grossing artists in Pollstar’s year-end issue, slated to publish on Dec. 16, based on global revenue from its last year of touring in support of the 2016 album This House Is Not For Sale. Final box office tallies from the tour total $232.2 million from 2,268,550 sold tickets at 90 headlining shows. The launch date was Feb. 8, 2017, and the final performance came on Oct. 2, 2019.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/bo...ntinuing-force-in-21st-century-touring-142922

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
It’s strange that his absence hasn’t had any effect on the touring/attendance side, right? I’d think anyone but him was disposable, but it turns out he is, too.

BJ tours have only increased in profits since they split.
Could have even been more profitable with RS as well, we really don't know. Also, we know gross...but how much of this is determined by ticket pricing...length of tours...etc.? As far a "more profitable"...unless you are doing the books you don't really know that either. You could very well be right, but I'll stand by my opinion on this.

FokenBusker

I'm not saying the catalog is worth more than that of Beatles...but I can't remember the last time I heard the Beatles on the radio. Honestly, I bet it's been 15 years. And comparisons to McCartney are silly as he made most of his money buying the rights to other people's songs.
Speaking of, seeing how it's been almost 11 years since MJ's death, does anybody know who owns The Beatles' catalog yet? Is it still in legal limbo? That has to be an absolute fortune.

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
Too bad Jon doesn't think so...

“This isn’t a band that is dependent on the guitar player like Van Halen or U2 or something,” Bon Jovi told Pollstar. “t was about the songs and it was about me.”
Also,
Well, if you consider numbers, we’re as big or bigger than ever,” he said. “You see how they come back again and trust in the change in lineup and the musical direction. … I’m not trying to rewrite ‘You Give Love a Bad Name.’ I think that speaks to me as the leader and primary songwriter, that they trust me as an audience.”

He added: “And that’s a leap of faith for them to take, because they bought into a certain thing that they may have grown up in or grown up with. They have to then trust me, and if it wasn’t worth their time and money, they would move on and keep the memories wherever music fans store them.”

Richie on the otherhand...The guitarist suggested last year that he’d been unhappy with the way the group was run for decades: “I thought we should have made more strides to become a band. It was going towards Jon being the front-guy and nothing else.”

Read More: Jon Bon Jovi on Richie Sambora: 'His Choices Have Led Him Astray' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jon...stray/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
It is too bad...but frankly would you expect Jon to say "we aren't nearly the band we were when Ritchie was in and co-writing all those hit songs with me...." Ego and money...ego and money...

27sauce

Speaking of, seeing how it's been almost 11 years since MJ's death, does anybody know who owns The Beatles' catalog yet? Is it still in legal limbo? That has to be an absolute fortune.
I believe he took out a loan on them years before he died. Not sure if he ever paid it off. Bank of America, IIRC?
Sony/ATV is listed,currently, but I thin MJ had a piece of that, too?

stratadp

It is too bad...but frankly would you expect Jon to say "we aren't nearly the band we were when Ritchie was in and co-writing all those hit songs with me...." Ego and money...ego and money...
Yeah, they are one of the few bands from my youth that I enjoyed but haven't seen live. I saw Richie do a solo thing 20 some years ago but thats been it. I'd probably give em a go if he was in the band, but I'm not paying what they are asking for the current group. I'd rather watch Phil be Phil on youtube and such, as opposed to just filling in the blanks with JBJ.

Speaking of which...

"I have a different energy. People want Coca-Cola, the real thing. That’s why they call it the real thing. They want to hear those sounds, that kind of attitude. And the guys that are playing guitar, John Shanks and Phil X, they’re both great guitar players in their own right. I was kidding around with Phil, I said to him – they were going onstage the other night, and I said, “Hey, it must suck being me without the chicks and the money.” [Laughs] And he started laughing…

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...t-rock-hall-theres-a-lot-of-love-here-627833/

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
:dunno:dunno:dunno

OK sure, lots of songs.
But $2 million a month????
(Jack Bruce made $750,000/yr from Sunshine of your Love publishing.)

Maybe Richie is talking to these folks?
I donno. :dunno

So...you don't really know yet you're cool with just dropping "he's a liar" on him?

RockDebris

That's a lot of cheddar for a month, but when your credits include songs that are written for a band that's a household name....

Just look at one place online, Spotify, for Bon Jovi and just at their top 5 songs (4 of which are co-written by Sambora), that's over 1 billion streams(!). Over how long of a time those streams were counted, I don't know, maybe since Spotify started or became popular, in any event, streams probably not older than past decade. I don't know what everyone's formula is for royalty payments on Spotify, but just those top 5 songs on 1 streaming services have grossed tens of millions of dollars in royalty payments. Just 5 songs on 1 service.

How many people in the world even know what financial success in the music biz at that level is really like? Maybe he was exaggerating, but I'm not going to question it. One thing is certain either way: It is good to be Sambora.

Lavely

Silver Supporting Member
@RockDebris - online estimates per stream that I see show a TOTAL payout for ALL of Bon Jovi's plays on Spotify to be somewhere between $700k and $3.3 million - again, TOTAL over all years

27sauce

@RockDebris - LOL - 1 billion streams on Spotify definitely does NOT equals tens of millions of dollars in TOTAL, yet alone for only one of the songwriters...
1 billion streams is about 6 million dollars. Richie is getting half or a third of that. Generally speaking.

Trending Topics