• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Sambora sold his catalog

Grun

I wish I lived in that world where anyone under the age of 60 is listening to classic rock. Including Beatles, Stones, etc. My kids sure don't

RockDebris

@RockDebris - online estimates per stream that I see show a TOTAL payout for ALL of Bon Jovi's plays on Spotify to be somewhere between $700k and $3.3 million - again, TOTAL over all years
You are right, not "tens of million", but more than 3 million for 1 billion streams. So many figures vary about what an average stream earns ... the range reported tends to be close to $.004 up to $.008. Using the lowest is 4 million for the top 5 songs ... that's the lowest. They probably make more than the lowest, but who know, maybe at that level the cut changes. No one is contacting me to tell me I need to work out a different cut, that's for sure!

(and I did say "gross royalty", btw ... and it is still good to be Sambora no matter how you slice it.)

RockDebris

1 billion streams is about 6 million dollars. Richie is getting half or a third of that. Generally speaking.
Of course. I did say gross royalty. Their top 5 songs have done more than 1 billion streams on 1 service. The point is .. he was doing very, very well earning royalties and I can't confirm whether he was exaggerating or not.

stratadp

Maybe! Do the newer songs get lots of play? I never hear them.

I don’t think he’s telling the truth.
I Googled "Sambora 2 Million". I got 11 hits from 2013 on the first page. Every one contained all or part of the following sentence; "Sambora was making $2 million a month and 20 percent of the tour profits,"

DV52

:cool:
He's not even worth Ringo money. According to a quick Google-fu, Richie's net worth is around $120M, Ringo is getting by at around $350M. Paul... $1.2BILLION.
Well To clarify , I think it's great that he gets his royalties , I mean Heather Locklkear was royalties itself. Luck Bastard. Good for him I guess I could take a pay cut :cool: and live on 2 mill a month . I mean I know I won't be saving lives at 2500 a week but I would find a way to make do.

OutterLimits

Platinum Supporting Member
Here is an article from December 2019.

With ticket sales figures from over 35 years of live performances, the band’s overall ticket sales revenue surpasses $1.35 billion. Their recorded concert attendance is also one of the highest among the marquee acts in the business, with more than 18 million sold tickets counted at the almost 1,000 shows that were added to the Pollstar database over the years.

This year, Bon Jovi will yet again rank as one of the highest-grossing artists in Pollstar’s year-end issue, slated to publish on Dec. 16, based on global revenue from its last year of touring in support of the 2016 album This House Is Not For Sale. Final box office tallies from the tour total $232.2 million from 2,268,550 sold tickets at 90 headlining shows. The launch date was Feb. 8, 2017, and the final performance came on Oct. 2, 2019.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/bo...ntinuing-force-in-21st-century-touring-142922
That is for concerts, as my link noted ... not for royalties. Not even close.

27sauce

:cool:
Well To clarify , I think it's great that he gets his royalties , I mean Heather Locklkear was royalties itself. Luck Bastard. Good for him I guess I could take a pay cut :cool: and live on 2 mill a month . I mean I know I won't be saving lives at 2500 a week but I would find a way to make do.
She left him for David Spade. That’s something to chew on, for this thread.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
The pattern of Hipgnosis overpaying for big catalogs is likely a bet on a big future for the sync licensing biz (where the $$$ is) driven by Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and other tech companies that have featurized TV and movies as a selling point for their platforms or ecosystems.

When you have colossal production budgets for TV and it doesn't matter if it makes money, you can pretty much sync any song you want.

The owners on the master side (labels, in most cases) still have to play ball, but that's probably not hard to do when Netflix comes knocking.

Last edited:

Don Vito

I didn’t realize he was with Heather Locklear from 94 to 2007. Then he was with Orianthi for 4 years. I can’t believe he was with Locklear that long.

Trending Topics