Same riff, 4 different distortion boxes. You be the judge.

You be the judge

Votes: 69 16.2%

Votes: 16 3.7%

Votes: 297 69.6%

Votes: 45 10.5%

• Total voters

joebloggs13

It seems some people are proud of the fact they picked 4 as there favourite. The most expensive pedal by far that failed to impress the majority of the tone hounds here.
I am not proud. I am just stating fact. I liked 4 the best. The whole cork sniffer thing is just a joke....emoji.....There is a reason why a large number of pros use Pete Cornish pedals....the OP also stated that what 4 did in this video, is only a fraction of the pedal's potential. That alone speaks volumes.

Kennyscrown

All sound the same.

I think You just can’t judge overdrive/dirt/distortion through YouTube, computer speakers, phones etc.

only way for me is to listen to the opinions of people you trust and like their music/tone; OR have it in your own rig for rehearsal/home use.

I think this video proves it - no way in person, playing those pedals and getting the feel of it, does each pedal sound so alike. The Cornish would boss it.

Alejandro

3 for me and second place for #1....what?.. the orange Boss?. I always hated it!...I should check it again

Cb9Ee6IoBZm03Dw_7yLfCj0WV8TrpfT9KfIsH1V1n_wtjZdy05eBnOK9KCXDwxewz3_7eD4hvFcTZJPbClEkuv8zatme55mG31WA0BQNvBa22_8SiEauuHuPxzZQ6a18-Ov8b90KpMIyjWBjTrXgcC9XPuHTjamqt6eYpQ

Rouge Delta

3 for me and second place for #1....what?.. the orange Boss?. I always hated it!...I should check it again

Cb9Ee6IoBZm03Dw_7yLfCj0WV8TrpfT9KfIsH1V1n_wtjZdy05eBnOK9KCXDwxewz3_7eD4hvFcTZJPbClEkuv8zatme55mG31WA0BQNvBa22_8SiEauuHuPxzZQ6a18-Ov8b90KpMIyjWBjTrXgcC9XPuHTjamqt6eYpQ

I never use mine. But every time that I bump my head and turn it on, I think to myself, "Man, there's a reason why they've been selling these things for as long as they have."

jackson

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the sound you got without any distortion pedals. Those pedals all sound basically the same.

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
All sound the same.

I think You just can’t judge overdrive/dirt/distortion through YouTube, computer speakers, phones etc.

only way for me is to listen to the opinions of people you trust and like their music/tone; OR have it in your own rig for rehearsal/home use.

I think this video proves it - no way in person, playing those pedals and getting the feel of it, does each pedal sound so alike. The Cornish would boss it.

this is exactly how I feel. I think you can tell that 3 and 4 definitely sounds better (less harsh) than 1 and 2 but the audio quality doesn’t allow any listener to tell a vast difference.

I think if we were in the room or audio was captured with Logic, Pro Tools, or something similar then we could really tell a difference. I also think the Purple Plexi can hang with almost any Marshall in a box pedal on the planet, including the Cornish.

cool comparison vid/thread though @BrianK !

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
No 1 would be my vote. 3 sounds great, but it has a sign of sibilance. Something that might make it not so endearing on the ear after a while.

Haven't looked but this seemed to capture what I heard. I got tired of 3 before even the clip was done. I can only imagine how harsh it might get after an hour or so. 3 stood out because it was noticeably brighter than the other pedals. Bright sells...apparently. Everywhere but in the house. I could make any of the other 3 work.

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
I prefer the sound you got without any distortion pedals. Those pedals all sound basically the same.
That is my normal sound. These days , I almost never play with the gain I used in the vid. I might use the gain for a solo. If I dial in this sound as a base sound I start playing in a “rock” style which is fun and I can do it, but not my thing normally! it’s funny, when I plug into a Marshall , or in this case use a Marshall style box, I start playing Foghat or Spinal Tap licks ;) not my normal “rootsy” style! The Cornish will stay for sustained leads and the Purple Plexi for when I want that Marshall chunk. The other 2 were just , I’m cleaning out the pedal drawer to get rid of stuff and why do I even have these, so let do a quick comparison before I dump them.

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
this is exactly how I feel. I think you can tell that 3 and 4 definitely sounds better (less harsh) than 1 and 2 but the audio quality doesn’t allow any listener to tell a vast difference.

I think if we were in the room or audio was captured with Logic, Pro Tools, or something similar then we could really tell a difference. I also think the Purple Plexi can hang with almost any Marshall in a box pedal on the planet, including the Cornish.

cool comparison vid/thread though @BrianK !

thanks although I’m pretty sure you end up the same results with “better” recording. 3 & 4 are better than 1&2. I know this cause I’m in the room hearing it. I will admit to being surprised by the DS1. Sit with it a little longer and I move on quickly. With the riff I played, it hangs pretty well. Personally, I skip over any and all close mic’d videos. Listen to CME vids and you can’t tell the diff from almost any thing they demo. They ALL SOUND THE SAME. I’d rather hear a decent iphone room sound. I can tell what I like and don’t like about a pedal that way! Close mic’d through pro tools is not all that! I never stick my ear in a speaker when I play so why would I want that approach to a demo ?

Last edited:

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
thanks although I’m pretty sure you end up the same results with “better” recording. 3 & 4 are better than 1&2. I know this cause I’m in the room hearing it. I will admit to being surprised by the DS1. Sit with it a little longer and I move on quickly. With the riff I played, it hangs pretty well. Personally, I skip over any and all close mic’d videos. Listen to CME vids and you can’t tell the diff from almost any thing they demo. They ALL SOUND THE SAME. I’d rather hear a decent iphone room sound. I can tell what I like and don’t like about a pedal that way! Close mic’d through pro tools is not all that! I never stick my ear in a speaker when I play so why would I want that approach to a demo ?

I’m not talking about just a close mic....I am talking about a room mic and a close mic. Ya know like you’d be doing if you were trying to track a guitar. I think it’s a much better representation than an iPhone recording. I think the iPhone recording can get the point across but when trying to compare something close (like 3 & 4) then I think a better quality recording would be needed. Shawn Tubbs and Pete Thorn can sure do it better than me but this is a demo I did recently. It’s not perfect audio but I think you can clearly hear what to expect in the pedal.

Not trying to tear down your clip at all, just offering up a point of view.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member

I always look to the bandstand as the end product even if I use it in the living room. And close mic'd is the sound of the bandstand. I suspect that same bright edged room mic'd sound that turned me off to pedal 3 would be darn near unpleasant when close mic'd. And would probably get eq'd down to a less present sound in the house. I actually hear room sound as a good equalizer. In my experiments with micing at least. Get on that speaker to hear what the house will hear.

That is tough for demos since the bandstand is probably not the ultimate goal for many. But it is for some.

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
I always look to the bandstand as the end product even if I use it in the living room. And close mic'd is the sound of the bandstand. I suspect that same bright edged room mic'd sound that turned me off to pedal 3 would be darn near unpleasant when close mic'd. And would probably get eq'd down to a less present sound in the house. I actually hear room sound as a good equalizer. In my experiments with micing at least. Get on that speaker to hear what the house will hear.

That is tough for demos since the bandstand is probably not the ultimate goal for many. But it is for some.

hit the nail on the head man. I agree, it’s all about the bandstand and how it cuts through a mix. Demos are not made to hear that. I would love to do more of that in my demos and has been a goal of mine but it’s hard to do. Requires a lot more work.

RhytmEarl

Right on. What sounds good at home often doesn't cut it without serious eq adjustments at the gig. I never pass final judgement on gear until I can hear it with the band.

colinesquire

1...............and the winner is
For the record, these are distortion boxes, I purposely dialed them to be similar for what I would call a “Marshall” tone. I was cleaning out my pedal drawer to sell some stuff. #1 & 2 I forgot I had and can’t recall how or why I acquired them. Maybe at a garage sale. Thought I might as well throw them on the board and do a comparison. I was surprised by how good they sounded. I was surprised by how many liked #1 Including myself, although I can hear, in the room, where it will suffer in a band setting. For palm muting chunky rhythms I actually like #2. Not enough to keep around. It ultimately is the weakest pedal. I knew #3 was pretty great. #4 has proven itself to me for over 10 years (Long time in this modern boutique pedal era) to absolutely rule. Maybe not on this riff in this setting. It’s actually a hybrid overdrive/distortion so not a straight up distortion. I normally dial down the gain a little and use it for lead and it’s remarkable. 10% of its range makes up 100% of pedals 1&2. So many on TGP like to drag on high end pedal stating they can get those sounds on a $50 pedal. In a way this , very little effort, demo Reinforces that. It was close between 1 & 4 but like I said, in the room or band setting you’d hear the differences.

thanks for playing along.
View media item 223744
I also liked 2 the least and wasn’t surprised it was the ZW! My favorite od pedal is the mxr gtod which is the same as the ZW on a different internal dip switch setting. I tried it on the ZW side and did not like at all. If you take yours apart and drop the board you’ll see the switch at top left. Give it a try!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom