Samplitude Users?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Steve Dallas, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Anyone using this?

I'm playing with the demo and am really liking it so far. I've been a Sonar user for decades, but recent troubles with it have caused me to start looking at other DAWs.

Sound off!

2. jdavies

jdavies Member

Ive used it with a fireface for a year or so and I really like it.
    Set up a few standard templates for different recording situations and its as easy as hitting "r" and recording. Sectioning into verses and choruses is easy and I particularly like that you can shift beat markers around on the timeline to match your rhythms and tempo variations for programming midi or scoring later on.

It also sounds great and allows easy mixing and compilation to CD burning in the one application.

I have found I record multitrack wav files using the RME digicheck application when jamming then import them to samp for mixing. So easy to be creative by just being able to hit record and play with a simple crash free program and use the more sophisticated mixing and processing to fine tune the raw material without interrupting the creative spark in the first place.

3. straticus

straticus Member

I've been using Samplitude Pro for 5 or 6 years. I'm using Samp Pro 7.23 now. I haven't moved up to V8, 9 or 10 because Samp 7 is working just fine for me.

I can't recommend Samplitude highly enough. Extremely deep program but very easy and logical to use. Plus, it sounds fantastic.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Been at it since v6, went up to its bigger brother at V8 and love the current V10.

5. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I'm on V9. How much different is V10? V9 is a little buggy, but the sound quality and edits makes up for it. What issues did V10 address??

I've had people tell me that my Samp 9/Fireface 800 setup rivals PT HD as far as depth and punch. I must say that I agree.

6. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Still using SAM 7.23, my fav DAW right now; (but I did have some fun with Tracktion when it first came out, I see potential with that program for people who want an easier to learn setup.)

The mastering features in the full version are incredible... Great sounding too!

7. Ed DeGenaro

9 was solid here, as is 10. The big thing in 10 is the Algot=rithmix like noise clean-up and audio quantize stuff.

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I bought the version 9 LE to play around with for a while. So far I like what I am seeing from the version 10 demo and the version I just bought. This is a very nice system. I might decide to go ahead and buy version 10 and switch over from Sonar 7.

Now I just wish I could get past having to learn a new package. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sonar's audio engine has just gone to hell in the last couple of versions. It still sounds great when it works, but with each version, I've had to increase the ASIO buffer. With version 7, I've finally hit the proverbial wall and can't take it any higher. It works until I hit a high track count, then all bets are off.

So is Sammitude the only other full-featured DAW out there besides ProTools? Or is there another system I should audition?

9. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

It's got a learning curve, but I'm glad I made the jump--never looked back.

I was also a former Sonar user.

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

My jump from Sonar to Sam was not easy at all, but well worth the time spent learning it, I don't have much desire for any other programs anymore, this one does what I need and with room to spare;)

11. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Hoping to move into Ver.11 in the near future...

12. Ed DeGenaro

By that time it'll be 12...which is quite promising.

13. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

I set up multiple studios for the University of Illinois School of Music Audio Department when I was the Director of those facilities (recently retired after 32 years there).

I chose Sequoia (pro version of Samplitude) over Pro Tools years ago because we could not afford a Pro Tools setup. It was recommended to me by Bob Katz (mastering engineer).

Many users of the system who had used Pro Tools and Nuendo agreed that Sequoia was a far better system and moved quickly to it and never looked back.

Samplitude will do most everything that Sequoia does except the extensive source destination editing which was essential for us for classical music editing.

It does recording, mixing, editing and mastering and CD/DVD burning extremely well.

While I don't have much experience with many other programs, I can tell you it did everything I needed for professional work in an extremely demanding environment. A lot of pro mastering guys use Sequoia.

It takes a while to learn it, but it is a very powerful tool.