San Fran Shopping Trip

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jbever, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jbever

jbever Member

I'm going to be going to the San Fran area in late July for vacation. Would love to walk away with a new guitar.

Any recommendations on stores or builders to visit?

I currently have a nash strat that's a keeper. I'm looking for a compliment. Would love a tele style or a P-90 guitar.

Any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
    Jerry

2. Thor

Thor Member

For acoustics I would say take a day trip up to Healdsberg (a real hot bed for acoustics). Down the peninsula you have Gelb music in Redwood City, and Griffin in Palo Alto.

Have a great trip (and don't forget to pack a jacket - ask Mark Twain).

cheers,

Edward

3. jbever

jbever Member

Thanks Edward,
    I'm already set up with my good old trusty Martin, I'll be looking for another electric. Thanks for the advice.
    Jerry

4. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

If you want a Nash, Griffin (actually it's Gryphon) is a Nash dealer and so is Guitar Showcase in San Jose (worth a visit just to look in the collectors room/museum). Guitar Showcase had some Nash's (Nashii?) in their Consignment Shop when I was there two weeks ago. Not sure what they had in the main store.

Gryphon has some very cool guitars - Nash, Suhr, Collins, Grosh, etc but their electric room is small and can seem a bit of a let down until you take in the quality of the instruments on the wall. http://www.gryphonstrings.com/

Gelb has nice higher Fender, Gibson, Suhr but no Nashes as far as I know.

No jacket needed this week - the temp is expected to be in the 90s all week!

5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What he said regarding peninsula music stores; Gelb, Gryphon, and Guitar Showcase are all great and worth the trip. It's funny, I went to school in SF for something like six years and I have little to no knowledge of their music stores (although I am sure that they have several that are good). In the city of San Francisco check out Haight-Ashbury Music Center, Real Guitars, Swan Guitars maybe?

Also, concerning the temperatures this week: It is is going to be hot all week. So much so that they are forecasting temperatures in the 90s in SF itself (which is quite hot for the city and very unusual).

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Rocker guitars is a fun shop to visit in the city.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Showcase only stocks the Nashes in their consignment shop. They have all the production and Custom Shop Fenders next door in the new store, along with their killer vintage room.

You can also check Gryphon's stock online and see if they have any Nashes you like in stock, but it is worth the trip in just to check out their inventory, even if you're not buying an acoustic. They have some nice electrics too, like Cunetto, Suhr, Collings, Hamer, Nash, etc.

8. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Rocker is nice and conveniently located in the city. Huge selection of really nice Gibson Historics and CS pieces. They also have PRS, Fender Custom Shop, some Jackson, and Charvel. The amp selction is good (Soldano, Orange, Fargen, Fender, Bogner, Budda, and others).

9. jbever

jbever Member

Thanks so much guys! This should keep me busy for a couple of days. Quite a menu to choose from.

I'd really like to try out a Brown Note amp while in the area. I've seen that they're located outside the city.

Does anybody in the city carry those amps?

10. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

Rocker in SF is definitely worth a visit.

Real Guitars is also near by Rocker. They have mainly used instruments.

San Francisco Guitar Works stocks some Reverend guitars, a maker known for their P-90 offerings.

11. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

They are more or less in Sacramento (Rancho Cordova iirc) which is about an hour and half to two hour drive each way.

12. jbever

jbever Member

Hey Doug, I see you're an Allen fan. I've built a Brown Sugar. Really want to look at building a Brown Note. Just don't know which one!

Do you know if they allow people to come to their shop and try the amps out? I have no idea about their set up or if that's cool. I emailed them a while back and never heard back. Or if there's a local dealer?

How's you Lite18 build going? Your cabinet looks like it's going to be a classy one!

13. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

While you are in town, drop in and play some...

www.rwcbluesjam.com

Frank Bey from Philly will be on the 16th with our own TGP'er Harry Jacobson dropping by.
    Andy Just of the Ford Blues Band will be the host on the 23rd and he always brings down and great bunch of players.

Give me a holler if you decide to make it.

14. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

There's a rad shop I went to in a little nook...Can't think of the shop name, but I believe kimock knows the name. The guy who used to setup Jerry's guitars had a workbench in there. Lots of great vintage gear. Not just one of those pawn shop places with old dusty, smelly stuff, but truly classic gear. Want to say it's called 'Real Guitars' ?

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Real Guitars is pretty renowned for their vintage gear, I think. I mentioned them in my post above, and they are definitely worth a visit when in SF.

16. jbever

jbever Member

I found the web site for Real Guitars, nothing on the site. But it has the address! It's on the list.

Bluewail, a jam session, hmmmmm ... Looked at the site. You're right it sounds like heaven, and a very well run night. Great info on the process!

You won't believe it but we're traveling down to spend some time at Great America water park, before we have to be in San Fran for my wife's family reunion. Guess what day we have open between the park and San Fran? Wed 7/30!! And what lays right between Great America and San Fran? Redwood City!

Now I just have to work on the logistics of what to do with our 8 year old twin boys. Would love to stop by and listen (maybe play, not a great player, not a bad player) sounds like a great scene. Doesn't look like a far drive from our hotel at the airport to Redwood City, just not sure about the late night drive.

Also checked out your Bluestate site, great blues!

I'll keep this on the list of things to see if I can make it happen. Thanks for the heads up.
    Jerry

17. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

If you want to hang out at the jam, adjacent to the Little Fox is a multiplex with movies for the family while you get to hear of play some blues. Lots of good places to eat too.

18. jda

jda Member

E-guitars in San Rafael (they still around?) sometimes has some cool stuff.

19. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

BTW, the 8 year olds might like the Hiller Aviation Museum which is right off 101 in San Carlos and would give you a couple of hours to hit Gelb and Gryphon

20. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

If you want to have a peek at some REALLY top-shelf acoustics, take the ferry across the bay from the city and go to Schoenberg Guitars in Tibouron. It's worth a trip.

http://www.om28.com