• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sanding rosewood fretboard to get lighter wood colour

Soulgolem

I was wondering if sanding my medium-dark rosewood fingerboard would turn it into a lighter colored rosewood ? I prefer my rosewood light !

changing the neck on my 80$ mustang isn't an option.
might be a cheap guitbox but it's my main axe.

mg200.jpg

it's the orange one on the left... wish i could change the body colour too, but that,s for another day.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
nope. the wood is the color it is all the way through. (funny, most folks complain that their rosewood boards look too light and want to make them darker, like that's some kind of marker of quality.)

edit: now that i've said that, some makers of really low-budget guitars like these "cheat" by actually dying the fretboard wood to look black. if the fretboard is weirdly black-looking you might indeed find more normal rosewood under there if you scraped the outer surface away with a razorblade.

(of course if it's too cheap you could scrape the wood to find crappy-looking whitish maple or mahogany under there!)

Soulgolem

gonna take a chance, in the event that i destroy the neck completely, at least i'll have a good reason to get a new neck

ffoont

To sum up: OP asks if his idea is a good one. Knowledgeable poster says it is not. OP responds that he is going to do it anyway, reasoning that if he is unsuccessful it will give him a good reason to spend money to get back to where he started.

So yeah it is kind of weird.

Soulgolem

seriously, what is you people's problem ?
first of all, the response i got is that normally rosewood stays consistent in colour but sometimes they add dye so yes it could work to an extent, i looked at mine and it was difficult to tell, i don't see what's weird about taking a chance once you've been informed.

that said, i tried on a fret and it worked, gonna do the whole neck now when i change the strings, thank you walterw, i guess that means it definitely contained dye, and two the other two, not helpful, not helpful at all.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
gonna do the whole neck now when i change the strings
the easiest way is with a trapezoidal box-cutter blade;

550475_sk_lg

the idea is to scrape cleanly from fully against one fret to fully against the other fret, taking care to never stop in the middle of the wood (that'll leave marks).

done right the result will be decently smooth fresh rosewood, which you can then clean up further with 4x0 steel wool.

old goat

If you want to scrape I would recommend using a card scraper. Cheap tool, although you have to learn to sharpen it and turn a burr. A lot less likely to dig in and leave a mark than a razor or box cutter blade. The card scraper can also be bent to follow the radius of the fb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom