Sano 160R - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Trunkard, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Trunkard

Trunkard Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sano 160R 1x12 combo. 16 watts, I think. (2) el84, (2) 12ax7, (1) 12au7, (1) 6cs7. Anybody know much about these amps?

2. sidneymg

sidneymg Member

I've got a hohner that was built by Sano. Sounds like the same deal, 2 el 84's, 12 speaker, reverb and tremolo. Love mine, small package, great tone and with a good efficient speaker, it has decent volume. I used to use it for practice in a small studio with a band and it was right at the limit without mic'ing it. I keep it at home for learning songs and such now. Very good and well made amp. It's also wired very neatly and true point to point.

3. Velvet_Jones

Velvet_Jones Member

I have a Sano amp it has one 15" speaker and two 8" speakers, reverb, and tremolo, runs about 30watts and is the best amp I own. I use it for all my recording and gigging. Very uniquely wired and has an absolutely killer tone. The effects are absolutely to die for! I know this is an old post but I hope you decided to get this amp. and to think that Sano amps were made and marketed as accordion amps! truely unique. In my opinion they sound better than most of the old Valco amps and are about half the price!

4. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

There was a huge range in sounds between Sano models. The EL-84 powered one I had sounded a lot like a Marshall, but it had a very different preamp from the 160R. They're all very well-built, though.

5. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

I just bought a 160R and I am VERY impressed

6. jspartz

jspartz Member

Just picked up a 160r today. Sounds good but the speaker low-end is not as tight as I like, it's a bit flubby and rattles a little. Wondering if anyone has dropped in a new speaker? I'm a big weber speaker fan so I am really curious if you put something in form them.

Share what you can. Thanks.

Jason

7. mabnotes

mabnotes Supporting Member

I have a Sano 250R (7591's) and I love the sound of it! I'm wondering when people are going to start searching these out...

I still have the original CTS alnico's on mine, but I may try a switch for just the Jensen P12Q's...

8. jspartz

jspartz Member

I also have a Sano 250r that I am getting back into shape. I had to go with different speakers so I bought a pair of Weber Signature (alnico) speakers and love them in that amp with my telecaster.

9. Reeek

Reeek Member

My Sano 160R is one of THE best sounding vintage tube amps I own and I have several. They rock, pure and simple.

I have the schematic for it too. I have a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog 12 in mine and she runs dead silent (I did a filter cap replacement on mine when I got her.

This is one amp that I will never sell and I've had her since 2006 or 2007 already . . .

This is some of the best amp money I have ever spent hands down . . .

10. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

I agree . I have 20+ oddball vintage combos 2 Sanos they beat every thing else. Except my Magnatone Lyric 115.