Sano 1x12" combo = tone!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goldstrat, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I just picked up an old, ugly 1x12 combo that was made by Sano in the 60's. It had a Radio Shack speaker in it and sounded like crap in the store. I looked in the back and saw 2 amperex preamp tubes and 2 RCA el84's so I traded for it. This amp sounds great after changing the speaker out to a Utah that I had laying around. It is shaped kind of like the Mercury combos but is covered in cheap Grey speckled covering and it has fantastic Tremolo. The only model info I can see on it is it says 16 watt on the faceplate which is black and on the top. This ugly amp sounds better than any of the Boutiques I have had and it was only about $150 in trade value.

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Haha! I just bought the same type amp. This one's in great shape and came with a reissue Jensen P12N. Killer sound. Like a cross between a Supro and an Ampeg. I believe this is the model 160.

3. Leonc

4. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Same Amp Leon! The one I have needs some work "cap job" and isn't as clean as yours but it was one of those amps that I knew I would like. I will take pics of mine when I have time and post.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Sano built amps for the accordian market: they tend to be pretty clean sounding till you push them really hard, but very well built. Congrats on a cool score! How's the tremelo? You should pull the chassis and have a look, if it's like mine, it'll be true point to point (no tag board or eyelet, just components wired together)!

6. Leonc

Yup, it's point to point pretty much. There are a couple terminal strips here, but may components are wired directly to other parts of the circuit.

Which Sano do you have Bob?

Any familiarity with Excelsiors? Seem to be Sano-made, from what I can tell (I just picked up one of these too, but it needs a bit more TLC to be doing its best).

7. bunuel

bunuel Member

Every '60s Sano that I've ever played sounds fantastic & I'm lucky to have a couple of them. One is the 160R Bronco II, which has an amazing trem circuit & spacious verb, powered by 2 XEL84. It out-Vox's most Vox's--sweet & chimey until pushed & then it just roars, in the sweetest most harmonious way![​IMG]

Even better is the Sano 2x12 that I've got--has the same killer verb & trem, but also has a stereo option (like many "accordian" amps of the era) that is downright amazing with stereo chorus. Sano's are killer rigs that also happen to have extraordinary build quality. If you can find one, get one. They are worth it.

8. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

My Sano is just like Leons but more beatup. It sounds pretty good clean but when you crank the volume and tone it is Marshall 18 watt city. It sounds like the old Marshalls not like the boutique expensive remakes! It needs a cap job so it is not very loud. I hope it will be louder after that is done.

9. bunuel

bunuel Member

Yep, they serve up the 'drive fer sure when pushed, pretty easy to get zz top tones. well worth doing a cap job if need. Again great build quality, pretty simple circuit. Here's the inside view of my 160WR:

[​IMG]

The 'verb is amazingly lush despite the 9" pan. Sanos rule!!:bow

10. Leonc

Finally got around to banging out a clip with mine. It's such a little screamer...

Runnin down a Sano

Just guitar straight in. Shure SM57. Used my '67 Gretsch Corvette for the main part and the little "chinka chinka" parts; used my '61 Epiphone Coronet for the rhythm "bashing" part.

11. bish0p34

bish0p34 Member

I don't know if mine is a Bronco, but I have the 160R, looks just like that , but the footswitch has no markings and is missing a button. I got it from my old drummer a while back for $200 w/new tubes. Fantasic sound, and the reverb is awesome. Sadly it's my practice amp at home for my Line 6. One of my buddies used it on a few albums, so it still gets loved!