Sans Amp Classic or GT2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrboy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. mrboy

mrboy Member

In looking for a med to high gain sounds. Playing through Marshall Super Bass. The amp is set to clean. I have tried GT2 but i didn't have time to tweak it properly.
    So which one do you prefer? Thanks!

2. redpill

redpill Member

If you don't have time to tweak the GT2, you'll find the Classic even more of a challenge. I think it's the more powerful of the two pedals, but the one that takes more tweak time, as the GT2 has a more straightforward "architectural" approach.

I have to say, though, that going in front of an amp (even set clean) is not the SansAmp's greatest strength. If you can use an effects return instead (not sure if you have a loop), you can avoid some of the over-coloring that can happen when a box designed to emulate a whole amp goes through a whole other amp.

The Tri-O.D. was their pedal designed to be used in front of an amp first and foremost, although it has been discontinued, so you'd have to go used.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I greatly prefer the Classic to the GT3. I found the high gain modes of the GT3 to be noisy and not that great sounding. The Classic does some very nice stuff, although it sounds better to me in lower gain territory. It stacks well with other pedals and can goose an amp like a second channel which is nice. You do have to spend some time, since the controls are completely NON-intuitive!

4. Dajax

Dajax Member

I use a classic for recording direct, and it sounds great, but in my opinion these pedals are no good for going into a guitar amp. I've tried it, and seeing as how you're basically putting one preamp (sansamp) through another (the front end of your amp) I find you end up with a very harsh, headache inducing tone

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've had some great results running my sansamp in the front of amps. There are sooo many sounds in the thing, it can be overwhelming But because of the flexibility it can be moulded to sound good in front of anything IMO.

In front of my vox clone set for a bit of dirt, I really like the Tweed setting with the dipswitches 3,4,5 set on. I think 3=low boost, 4=clean amp, and 5=bright switch.

Makes for a great full, medium overdrive tone.

This is a cool pedal.

6. IAE

IAE Member

i have both and the classic is waaaaay nicer sounding than the gt2.i actually hate the gt2.it doesnt do it for me at all, the classic sounds amazing on every setting.
    the gt2 can sound very mesa like but not 100% convincing imo.

7. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Since you already have a Marshall, why not use an attenuator? All the OD/distortion pedals try to sound like what you already have. A good attenuator will allow you to crank up the Marshall and get the great sounds in that thing while keeping the volume reasonable. But maybe you already know this and want to do something different. :AOK

What most are saying about the SansAmp is true... it is not really for a guitar amp and cab. But I know some use it that way anyway and get good results so there are no rules I guess.

I use my SansAmp TRI-A.C. through a Mackie SRM350 powered speaker and it sounds wonderful!

Good luck!

8. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

I pretty much like the gt2. Am using it for heavier rhythm stuff. Not bad! heh. totally beat my crunchbox flat out .

9. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

I believe Neil Zaza uses a GT2 into the return of tube heads when he cannot bring his own amps...and his tone is gorgeous...check his site