sans amp original vs. liverpool, blonde etc.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bionic, Aug 11, 2008.

1. bionic

bionic Member

Has anybody compared the original sans amp with the new tech 21 character series? I've been happy with the sans amp with some external eq but was wondering if they have actually improved on their sound.

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

I'm curious about these new pedals, as well. They sure have cool graphics.

Someone on TGP must have some exprience with them?

3. bionic

bionic Member

4. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I bought the British Pedal and it was just horrible in front of my amp. I tried over and over with every possible combination on the pedal and my amp, gain channel, clean channel, with compression, without, added a GE-7 eq and just could not get a decent sound out of the thing. Just dry, nasty, thin terrible tone. I returned it two days later.

5. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I've used all of them. The California I didn't care for. All the rest are very useable, but I would say only for DI recording and/or into a power amp/speaker.

I can see them sounding terrible into the front end of an amp because they are preamps not boost pedals. They do cop the vibe of the amps they are intended to. I like the Liverpool the best.

A bit noisy at high gain and volume levels. I just played 11 days at the Wisconsin fair running the Blonde, British, and Liverpool into a Peavey tube power amp and Genz Benz 412 cabinet. (the provided backline - not my stuff)

They did fairly well....actually better than I expected, but you need to switch them off between songs to kill the ocean sound.

As of now, they are my main "amps in a box" for my fly-date board, but I am trying an Ethos next week.

6. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

The Liverpool has been awesome in front of my little D-Lab amp.
    Also sounds wonderful going through my Tech21 Bass Power Wedge (which is just a power amp in a speaker cab).
    IMO, a huge sonic improvement over the SansAmp Classic.

7. bionic

bionic Member

I am know that both pedals in question really excel as a DI recording device I was just wondering for example if the Sans Amp Original Vox AC30 setting is better or worse than the Liverpool pedal

8. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I have only used the Trademark series amps to compare to, but I think you'll find the Liverpool more open and realistic than the older circuits. I emailed directly with Tech 21 before I bought these and they told me that the Character series is a completely new circuit design from the ground up and not just a re-working of the older stuff.