Sansamp GT2 or Classic as pedal only?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtwang, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

I can't recall seeing a Sansamp GT2 or Sansamp Classic on a TGPers pedalboard. Does anyone use the Sansamp mainly as a pedal into an amp instead of a just as a recording/direct input unit? If yes, how do you use it? Marshall in a box? Slight overdrive? Something else?

2. Grap

Grap Member

I used to use a GT-2 for direct recoridng and occasionally as a stomp box going back to about five years ago. I never could get it to sound right through the front end of a valve amp, but it would do a great "Marshall in a box" into the effects return of a solid-state amp. I more or less stopped using it comepletely when I bought a Trademark 10, but I still throw it into the bag as a gig-saver on the grounds that I could set it to get a clean Fender sound and run my board through it onto the PA at a pinch if all else fails.

3. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I use a GT2 in front of my Top Hat sometimes for a little extra kick. I have tried a Timmy, Barber DD with mod, Rat, Expandora, etc...and ended up liking the GT2 the best. Go figure...

4. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

I've found the key to using the GT-2 with an amp is to start with both EQs turned all the way down, then adjust upwards ( as little as possible) to taste.

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Used to be my main pedal before I found TGP. It's still a great Swiss Army Knife. Now I carry it as an amp backup.

6. Grap

Grap Member

Yes. There's far too much treble available for starters. My favourite Marshall sound was Mic - Center, Mod - Clean, Amp - British, Level - Whatever, High - 10 o'clock, Low - 1 o'clock, Drive - 11 o'clock

I even used to use a very long cable to DI it in an attempt to roll-off the top end when I used to use one for recording direct to my multi-track Fostex (That's going back a few years now.. :eek:)

7. jtwang

jtwang Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Interesting. Would you mind sharing your settings?

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have an original Sans Amp on my little home board but have also used it live. Plugged in to Fenders it sounds good if I use the "clean" amp and middle amp settings. To me, it sounds very 808ish with the presence at 1 o'clock, gain at 11-12, high at 3 o'clock on the middle amp and clean settings with the dip switch set for one or the other mids on.

I've also be able to coax Santana type sounds on the Lead setting with the highs trimmed a bit. I usually leave the "bass" switch on or it gets too thin.

Hell, Curt Cobain used one live!