SansAmp GT2 or Tri AC?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HeavyMetalNyge, Feb 4, 2006.

1. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

I'm really interested in the SansAmp pedals thru my Rivera clubster 45. I have tried the GT2 pedal and it sounded great. I don't have the option of trying the Tri AC, but I'm interested in it because of its practical live applications. Which should I get, the GT2 or the Tri AC? Also, should I run this pedal in front of the amp or thru the effects loop?
    Thanks

2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I've got both. For some reason I could never get as good sounds out of the Tri-AC as I could out of the GT-2.

3. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Same here... I sold my Tri-AC. I have a PSA at home & wanted a pedal with presets but the AC was not happening :(

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Me too. The triAC didn't last long........

jon

5. danut

danut Member

Be sure to use the TRI-A.C. the right way. It won't sound good into the front end of most amps, because of the coloring preamp sections of these amps, given the TRI-A.C. is an amp emulator with speaker simulation circuit included. Use it either direct to mixer or to a flat power amp driving flat response speakers. I use mine with a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 (powered speaker cabinet) with excellent results. Good luck!

6. jeak

jeak Member

I too have been interested in the various SansAmps. Can any of them (or anything similar) also be used as a headphone amp? For example, if I plugged phones with a stereo > mono adapter into the output, would there be enough power to drive the phones?

Also, if the GT2 has a bypass clean, is there another model or another brand that does not? It would be nice to get, say, a nice Fender clean tone through headphones. Then I'd just use my pedals in front for effects.

I'm asking all this because I've never been too happy with the digital phone amps like Pandoras, etc. Thanks for any info.

7. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

Ok, it seems like the GT2 is what pretty much everyone agrees on. Now, should I run the GT2 in front of my amp or thru the effects loop? Thanks in advance for all the help.

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Yet another "me too" for the GT-2.

I've had mine since 1993. I don't really like it as a distortion pedal with a clean amp anymore; too many great pedals that do that trick better have come through since '93. But for many years, I used it as a volume boost with a little gain and a nice EQ section in front of a dirty Marshall JCM 900. It really did the trick there and made that amp sound pretty good.

I also used it for direct recording. Careful of the gain if you use it with certain settings, it can get a little ratty.

Overall, an outstanding value when I consider how much I used to do with it. It has been in retirement for the last 3 or 4 years, but I'm going to start using it with a bass that I just got.

The PSA-1 that I owned; now THAT was a nice piece of kit that I wish I could have again.

9. danut

danut Member

"I too have been interested in the various SansAmps. Can any of them (or anything similar) also be used as a headphone amp? For example, if I plugged phones with a stereo > mono adapter into the output, would there be enough power to drive the phones?"

Here's the Tech 21's answer, excerpt from their website FAQ section:

"Can I use headphones with my SansAmp?

You can, but the output was designed to be low enough so as not to overload whatever you plug it into (mixer, combo amp). Therefore, it may not be the most satisfying level. We suggest you plug the SansAmp into a mixer or home stereo (auxiliary input) and then you can crank the cans as loud as you like."

10. danut

danut Member

The GT2 is pretty much the same thing as the TRI-A.C., minus the programmability stuff. It is NOT a distortion pedal it is a preamp. So it should yield better results through the FX return of an amp.

11. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

Any particular suggestions? I'm really just looking for a nice distortion pedal. I play in a cover band and I need something for heavy stuff like Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Guns N' Roses, etc.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I only used it as a distortion pedal through the front of my amps. Mostly the mesa (Cal) sounds. Worked great.

jon

13. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Emma ReezaFratZitz

14. jeak

jeak Member

Danut, many thanks for this!