1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

SansAmp Question - and hooray for XT bean!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by strumminsix, May 16, 2011.

1. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

Friends, when I run sound for my band I go direct as it saves time, less to carry, mic, level sets, etc. Y'all know this already so I'll stop

I dropped my Tech21 Cali and it went across the ceramic floor, bounced a few times and as a result, I assume, stopped working. So I went for my back-up Tech 21 Blonde and it was harsh and distorted, not good at all.

Difference was the the Cali was mod'd by Putnam so it had the DI/XLR and when I tested the Blonde, I used the direct out as I was rushing and didn't want to dig around for it. Mixer is on 2 cases and DI is at the bottom.

Then finally went for my XT Bean and it worked flawlessly. Absolutely perfect.

So my question - are these pedals always so sensitive and prone to failure?

2. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

The pedal in question was modded and dropped on the floor so to say it is unreliable is not exactly an accurate statement. Unfortunately your warranty was voided when the pedal was modified. Our pedals for the most part are pretty durable. Still, with enough force any pedal can break. I doubt your POD would be unscathed if dropped in the same manner.

The Blonde and California are different sounding pedals. It's hard to say in terms of sound because all of our pedals have a very broad range of tones that are dependent on how you tweak them.

3. strumminsix

I understand why the one I dropped stopped working but not the Blonde. That's what I'm concerned about it. That pedal has stayed in the original tin, with bubble wrap around it at the bottom of a padded gig box that is carefully loaded, without any pressure on it for almost a year after I tested it for an hour and deemed it a perfect back-up. Can't understand why work right.

4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I'm not sure I understand your question. Is the Blonde malfunctioning or is it possible that when you plugged it into your mixer you didn't have it gain staged properly with your mixer. If you were only plugged into the Blonde there is no need for a DI unless your mixer doesn't have enough 1/4" inputs.

Did you try running the Blonde into another piece of equipment like a guitar amp? What exactly is wrong?

5. strumminsix

Yup, plugged into: guitar amps, other channels, with DI post gig, etc.

It's a question to the musicians here - has anyone else experienced any sansamp failures?

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I've used a fair amount of Tech 21 gear over the years (Trademark 60, Tri AC, GT2, XXL, British) and have never had any absolute failures with the exception of the effects loop becoming scratchy on the TM60 after around 10 years of solid (and rugged) usage and one of the footswtiches on the Tri AC becoming a bit unreliable after 3 or 4 years of usage. They get a thumbs up for durability from me.

7. hading

hading Member

Sansamp Classic for about 15 years
    Trademark 10 for about 10 years
    Liverpool for about 2.5 years

No serious problems. Same problem as Will mentioned on the TM10 and after about 10 years some scratchiness on the Classic. Both easily solved with some contact cleaner.

Based on previous Tech 21 threads, I'd say tech21nyc will try very hard to help figure out your problem, but you'll need to help out and be pretty specific on your equipment and on precisely what you tried.

8. strumminsix

Thanks, guys!!! I'm guessing maybe I just got a Blonde Pedal that outlived her life and the 2 things just came to light on the same day!

9. felken

felken Member

Tech 21 stuff has always seemed well made to me.

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I'm still not sure what you're saying is wrong with the pedal. Are you using the pedal by itself or is there something else going before it? Have you tried a different guitar or cable. There is really nothing in the pedal that will wear out. You mentioned the sound was harsh and distorted. How do you have the controls set?

If there is no damage to the pedal and there is a faulty component you can send it back to us for repair. If the pedal is out of warranty there is a $25 bench charge and the pedal will be repaired and fully tested.

You can contact our tech support at: http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/index.html

11. strumminsix

Like I said earlier, it was harsh and distorted, not good at all. I've done a dozen gigs with that pedal so know what it can / should sound like.

Thank you for the leads on support!

12. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

So wait, set up was guitar-> Blonde (modeling) -> British (DI)-> FOH? Did you try bypassing the Brits DI and running a 1/4" to FOH? Could be too much output signal from the Blonde, could be a bad battery, battery may have exploded inside the Blonde from lack of use/age, the list goes on.

13. strumminsix

Guitar > cable 1 > Blonde powered + 1 spot > cable 2 > board

horrible sound.

I put the 1 spot back to by board, it powered all my fx just fine, used the same 2 cables to my XT, and I had great sound.

nothing else it could be.

14. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I'm still trying to understand what the problem is. Have you tried a new battery or a different power supply. What settings on the pedal? Level, mid, character, drive, low and high.

What board are you running into? Do you have the input gain staged properly for the pedal. Are you using a mic or line channel? If not you can easily overload your board and that will give you a nasty distortion which is what I think you are describing. I run my Leeds and Liverpool into my Mackie boards as well as my recording interface with no issues but I do have to take care to turn down the input trim or use the line input.

15. strumminsix

Dude, read above. I've done over a dozen shows with it so know the pedal and know the soundboard and the power supply works. And know how to adjust a level on the pedal and input gain on the pedal and match it to a soundboard input gain and set that appropriately and know how to use a slider.

The pedal died. end of story.

16. Eric71

Eric71 Member

Want to mail me the pedal? I'll take it off your hands if it really is dead.

17. strumminsix

:bonk:bonk:bonk

I'm sending it out to a tech with the Cali that I broke and see what he can do

18. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

No need to get defensive I'm just trying to help. The thing is more often than not when we get pedals back they are usually functioning properly. To trouble shoot you need to take a number of different steps to make sure you know where the problem really is. It could be a battery, power supply, cable, or guitar issue. It could also be a faulty channel on the mixer. I know because I have two bad channels on one of my mixers. It's also entirely possible the pedal is malfunctioning but in your original post you state:

The direct out on the Blonde? Mixer is on 2 cases and DI is on bottom? I'm not really sure what those statements mean as the Blonde only has 1 output and the part about the mixer being on 2 cases doesn't seem relevant. Was the Blonde modified as well?

In any case we stand behind our products and we will repair it free of charge if it's still under warranty. As I stated previously if it's out of warranty there is a $25 bench charge that includes the return shipping of the pedal and also includes a 1 year factory warranty. We don't try to make money on our repairs. Your pedal will be repaired to factory specs. Many aftermarket mods we've seen are done with internal wires dangling and are not what we consider road worthy.

19. strumminsix

Yes, the Blonde's direct out vs running it thru a DI first.

I spend alot of time identifying what was the bad part and deducted my way down.

Cases were just cases of gear that the DI were on - I was lazy, that's all, yup irrelevant.

Does that $25 include repair?

20. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

You don't really need to use a DI with our pedals in most cases as they are low Z output unless you need an XLR connection or ground lift .

Yes the $25 is for the repair and return shipping. That's less than most shops initial bench charge.