santa brought me a redplate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mattmccloskey, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

just in time for christmas, henry finished up my blackverb combo:

[​IMG]

what a beast! this thing begs to be cranked up. Very forward sound with plenty of punch.

It took me a couple hours of playing and tweaking to find the sweet spots for my needs, because the amp has so many shades of gain based on the multiple stages of volume and gain control. It has input volume, which is global (feeds everything after), which then feeds into the OD section, which has the gain control, drive control, and level. Then it has the master volume, which feeds the loop, which has send and return controls. The return (when loop is engaged) is the real final master volume.
    Turning each one of these up or down in relation to one another (plus all the tone controls and toggle switches) can make for lots of variation in the nature of the overdrive. Then you have the mid boost and gain boost on top of that, in any combination.

The beauty of this amp is that you can ultimately dial in a great clean sound with a ton of headroom, shimmer, and get it close to 'pushed', then use the footswitchable mid and gain boosts separate or together for slightly hairy or mild break-up tones. Then you can engage the OD and any combo of boosts for lots of variations from cranked tweed sounds to thick creamy overdrive. Plus it has a great buffered effects loop and reverb on top of all that.

I will post more info and some clips very soon. Build quality is superb, loads of tonal options, very powerful, compact, and the tones are big and bold, yet smooth.
    I can't wait to get this on a a gig.

2. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Killer amps for sure ! Love the Redplate tones. Lots of Pros using them. Way to go Henry.

3. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Thats alot of knobs. Santa brought me a Pro Jr., it has two knobs.
    Yours looks very well made and ready to go.
    Mine is getting caps, transformers, speakers, tubes, and a bigger cabinet.
    Ok, you must of been nice, while I was being naughty.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

5. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Congrats! Nice Holiday present!
    I've got a BlackTweed Special Reverb on the truck for delivery.

6. brads

brads Supporting Member

What does the drive control (versus the gain control) do in the OD section?

7. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

congrats!

the obligatory gear question: what type of speaker is loaded in there?

8. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Congrats!

I know these amps sound killer after hearing a couple in live settings. What I really like about yours is that you went with a modest physical appearance scheme.

Some of the Redplate examples I've seen have been way overdone (IMO) with giant name plates, custom control names, etc. No offense to those other amp owners/artists, it's just my personal taste. For me, yours looks clean, classic, and is exactly how I would order a Redplate. Nicely done!

9. mattmccloskey

they both control the amount of overdrive, but each has a different effect; the gain is the OD trimmer usually found inside on a dumble type amp, moved to the front. Turning it up makes for a 'creamier' OD, whereas the drive control overdrives the lower frequencies and has, to my ear, a little more bite left on top when turned higher. Basically they work on different frequencies.

10. mattmccloskey

It is a warehouse british 80. Good speaker, especially after I cranked through it for 5 hours.

I actually tried my celestion alnico gold today in the combo. Also a good sound, more 'vintagey' and reedy, looser feel. I prefer the stock warehouse though, it has a little less zing on the top, and is a cleaner sound that works well with this amp.

11. mattmccloskey

Yeah I wanted it to look a bit more classic. I figure the red is bold enough, so why not keep the rest nice and clean looking to not over-do it. My name is only in small script on the back panel of the chassis by the serial number. For me that is plenty, as the amp has all my custom ordered preferences, so it is unique enough without a big banner!

sounds better and better every hour I spend on it too, really sweetening up as the speaker breaks in.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The amp looks very "Christmas-y", you should put a Santa's cap on top! :D

Seriously, looks great and I bet sounds even better. Enjoy!!

13. nicebreakup

nicebreakup Member

That's the exact amp I ordered (and should be here next week). Looks great but I'm going to have to go with multicolored knobs!

14. brads

brads Supporting Member

I didn't really put much stock in amp components breaking in, but my BlackTweed sounds significantly better now 2 months later (sounded great to start out).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  15. Willle

Willle Supporting Member

Hey Matt,

She's a honey. How 'bout a pic of the back?

16. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I got the Magic dust duo 50 watt combo and it is conservative looking too.The red color scheme with black is a tough look.Great looking amp.My combo is on the amp slide show if you don't think he made a 50 watt MDD cobo.Great amp and a Blackloop or verb in a Tweedyverb size may be my next amp.I love the way Henry builds his amps.Look inside and it is amazingly a beautiful piece of work.

17. mattmccloskey

I have a pic of the back but it is on my home computer, I'm on the laptop for now. I'll post the back pic tonight.

18. mattmccloskey

here is the back of the amp, lot of cool features here as well!

[​IMG]

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

Looks nice. I got a Black Tweed Special about 2 months ago. I am still discovering new tones every time I plug into this thing. They are all great. I think it is sounding better as it ages as well. Henry told me it would and I agree. These amps sound good at low levels at home, but man they open up when you can crank them a little. Enjoy yours, Merry Christmas.

20. Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Senior Member

Yep trying to get deposit now for a magic dust duo.

Might just do the combo thing and the red is growing on me as well.

Waiting on the Quinn as well it will be here before the magic dust
    arrives.

Great clips at Henrys site makes it easy to decide.