Santa Cruz D/PW opinions

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by adamg, Jun 3, 2008.

1. adamg

adamg Member

Any thoughts on either the Mahogany or Rosewood SC D/PW? Owners? Others?

Thanks,

Adam

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

I have one...the standard rosewood one. Great guitar, not just for strumming/picking hard but can also be fingerpicked (vs. the Tony Rice not sounding as good fingerpicked). Good balance too, wherein the bass strings don't overwhelm the treble strings. My second Santa Cruz...also have an H.

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Excellent value. I helped a friend get a rosewood model. I prefer mahogany, but both sound really good.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Hi Adam,

I played a rosewood Santa Cruz D/PW for about six years. It was my main guitar for a long time and then it shared that spot with a Santa Cruz OM/PW. They are wonderful instruments - built lightly, lots of low end, sparkling highs, etc. I just sold the D/PW to one of my guitar students so that I could order a Collings mandolin. I have first refusal if he decides to sell it.

Compared to a Collings, I find the D/PW guitars aren't as forward in the mids. They don't 'cut' as well, but I think that makes them work better for a lot of music. It wouldn't be my first pick for bluegrass, but for accompanying a singer or as a solo instrument I like them a lot. They are steals on the used market.

Bryan

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

SC makes very nice guitars, I would not hesitate getting one. Regarding rosewood vs mahogany, the conventional wisdom (and my personal experience in comparing Collings guitars) is that mahogany will produce a bit "drier" sound with more fundamental, rosewood will produce a "richer" sound with more overtones.

6. adamg

adamg Member

Thanks for the comments!!

I guess I just wanted some group affirmation to what my ears are hearing. I thought the recent D/PW's that I tried were great.

I think I agree with Bryan's comments. I suppose that the Mahogany version might cut a bit better for group playing.