Santa Cruz H13?

sonic romp

Has anyone played one that they would like to take a moment to coment on? I'm really considering one via trade and am 1,000,000 miles away from an SC dealer.

> Any open tunings with it?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Troy

dryland

I own one. It is a wonderful guitar. Very comfortable to hold and play. About L-00 sized but with a deeper body--about dreadnought depth; gives it a deeper, more resonant sound than say, a Martin 00.

Good for fingerstyle, delta blues, and responds well when flat picked. Mine is set up for finger style.

I also own a SCGC Tony Rice model. Both of my Santa Cruz guitars are well made and sound/play wonderfully. In addition, Richard Hoover is a great guy and the company really stands behind their products.

What are you considering trading for the H-13?

sonic romp

The VS. The H13 has been the only guitar that i've even considered ever putting my VS down for, honestly. I really don't think that the H13 is gonna work for me and my style nearly as well. I think that i'd really like to try it if I was able to have two acousitcs around but the VS just seems to cover alot more basses for me personally.

Thanks for your reply too. I know that it's impressed alot of folks ~ but hey, that's nothing new for ANY Santa Cruz. It's so easy to go surfing for another one from them...you just know that it's gonna be good.

Peppy

I know that it's impressed alot of folks ~ but hey, that's nothing new for ANY Santa Cruz. It's so easy to go surfing for another one from them...you just know that it's gonna be good.
Esa es la verdad. I bought an H and later bought a D/PW...gotta have at least two. :D

johneeeveee

I owned an H13 for a bit. It was a wonderful guitar, but just not what I was looking for. I may try to find one with a mahogany top for that drier tone I like. The spruce top that I had produced a lot of overtones and bass response that rivaled dread sized guitars I have owned. I was looking for something a little more contained and balanced (like old L00's). It doesn't sound like a blues box to me, but it does sound like a more modern sounding beautiful guitar (IMO). Of course, it was also new, so in time it may have taken on a different vibe.
Good luck - jv

sonic romp

I owned an H13 for a bit. It was a wonderful guitar, but just not what I was looking for. I may try to find one with a mahogany top for that drier tone I like. The spruce top that I had produced a lot of overtones and bass response that rivaled dread sized guitars I have owned. I was looking for something a little more contained and balanced (like old L00's). It doesn't sound like a blues box to me, but it does sound like a more modern sounding beautiful guitar (IMO). Of course, it was also new, so in time it may have taken on a different vibe.
Good luck - jv
Actually, i believe that it is the very guitar you're talking about that's up for adoption. Thanks for the input on it.

johneeeveee

Actually, i believe that it is the very guitar you're talking about that's up for adoption. Thanks for the input on it.
You're getting one with a mahogany top? You'll have to let me know how it sounds... I'd be very curious.

Thanks - jv

sonic romp

You're getting one with a mahogany top? You'll have to let me know how it sounds... I'd be very curious.

Thanks - jv
JV- No; it was your H13 that the gentleman was thinking of dealing on. I subsequently backed out and kept the VS as I believe it was just the right guitar for me. The H13 looked amazing!

johneeeveee

JV- No; it was your H13 that the gentleman was thinking of dealing on. I subsequently backed out and kept the VS as I believe it was just the right guitar for me. The H13 looked amazing!
My H13 went to a guy named Greg (Car58 on the Martin forum)... was he selling it, or are you confusing it with another guitar? Either way, yes, the H13 I owned was a beautiful guitar, but just not the sound I was after. Dreadnought fans wanting a smaller guitar to play should check them out, as they are kind of the best of both worlds. Me, I dig the sound of small guitars, and like them kind of dry.

I'm glad you decided to hang onto your VS. The guitars I have played in that series have sounded great and I LOVE the necks. The Santa Cruz neck was also a bit slimmer and a bit more of a modern profile, which wasn't my preference either. A very well built guitar, nonetheless.

Peace - jv

sonic romp

My H13 went to a guy named Greg (Car58 on the Martin forum)... was he selling it, or are you confusing it with another guitar? Either way, yes, the H13 I owned was a beautiful guitar, but just not the sound I was after. Dreadnought fans wanting a smaller guitar to play should check them out, as they are kind of the best of both worlds. Me, I dig the sound of small guitars, and like them kind of dry.

I'm glad you decided to hang onto your VS. The guitars I have played in that series have sounded great and I LOVE the necks. The Santa Cruz neck was also a bit slimmer and a bit more of a modern profile, which wasn't my preference either. A very well built guitar, nonetheless.

Peace - jv
Yes, that's the one. It wasn't that he wanted to move away from the H13 rather than he thought the VS would more better suit his bluegrass-style of playing.

Ogre

Thanks Tom, for the interesting history of the Santa Cruz H model. This is one of my fave SCGC guitars.

johneeeveee

Yes, that's the one. It wasn't that he wanted to move away from the H13 rather than he thought the VS would more better suit his bluegrass-style of playing.
That's interesting... he wanted my H13 sooooo badly, it's a shame it isn't working out for him. He's a really heavy handed player, and the H13 is more of a sweet, melodic sounding guitar than a hard picker.

I'm actually going to play a Martin 00-18 VS today. I talked to another guy yesterday who was selling his stuff because he bought one, so I have to check one out. The shop near my house supposedly has an especially toneful one. I'll let you know what i think.
Thanks - jv

johneeeveee

What's the neck like on the H13? Is it a Vee?
This is from the Guitar pPlayer review, and I agree with it for the most part:

"The mahogany neck blends a gentle “V” profile with slightly bigger shoulders than found in a traditional boat neck. I’d describe it as a marriage between a “V” and a rounded “C” shape."

I personally found it to just have a hint of a V, and seemed more modern and slim than chunky.

Hope that helps... nice guitars - jv

e-z

This is from the Guitar pPlayer review, and I agree with it for the most part:

"The mahogany neck blends a gentle “V” profile with slightly bigger shoulders than found in a traditional boat neck. I’d describe it as a marriage between a “V” and a rounded “C” shape."

I personally found it to just have a hint of a V, and seemed more modern and slim than chunky.

Hope that helps... nice guitars - jv
That definitely helps me want to try one. I played a custom small bodied Santa Cruz with a vee neck and I didn't care for it. I've had a Model F for 13 years so maybe my hands expect a certain shape from a SC.

Trending Topics