Santa Cruz Oms, H14 Oo, Ooo, Om/pw

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by guitarplayer, Dec 16, 2009.

1. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

I'm very impressed with the Santa Cruz guitars I've played and will be in the market very shortly for a small body guitar but there are so many choices! Maybe someone can help me understand the subtle differences between the guitar regarding tone? I'll be using the guitar for song writing and recording and looking for the following characteristics in a small body guitar:

- Warm balanced tone
    - Subtle harmonic overtones
    - Intimate tone for singer/songwriter type folk rock

I did play the new 1929 all mahogany 00 model which I liked - very warm and a lot of subtle overtones. I also played the OM/PW which I liked a lot - a bit brighter with sparkle but also very nice. I've noticed they have a short length OM, the "OMS" and the H13 which I suppose is meant to be the opposite concept of the short length (13 frets and bridge further back for a longer scale). Any recommendations from those who may have played or owned several small body guitars? Thanks for the help!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Short scale, 12 fret, sitka/Indian might be your ticket.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

Is that the OMS model?

4. paddywhack

paddywhack Supporting Member

...i have a Santa Cruz 000...i've owned an OM/PW an H 13 and a SC Mahogany Dread...i've had other high end guitars including quite a few Martins and for my preferences Santa Cruz Guitar Company just gets it right...tonewise the differences between the models you're considering are generally subtle and in the end i would recommend you try and play a few...for myself its all about the particular guitar more than the specific model...Santa Cruz's are consistently excellent guitars but they do differ from guitar to guitar....a short scale OM is a guitar thats i'd like to try (essentaially a Martin 14 fret 000 design)...for a more supple feel and mellower tone...my 000 (German Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides) is super responsive and although its warm its a crisp sounding instrument with outstanding balance and note separation...suitable for a fingerpicking light touch and able to hold up to aggressive flatpicking styles...and everything in between...its a super versatile instrument...The H-13 i had (all Sycamore) was more Gibsoneqsue with a warm throaty tone...really dry and earthy... with the best neck profile i ever felt..i really liked it but the dreadnaught depth tweaks my old carpenters shoulder....the OM/PW best describes the tones you're after and its the prototypical singer/songster guitar for my tastes...the sound is big and lush...never harsh..(a must for me)...another extremely versatile guitar....the big plus for me when i'm playing an OM is comfort....the shallow depth and narrow waist...i also prefer 14 fret access if possible.....if you can hold out for a "good one"...its worth it...the custom guitars that Santa Cruz produces are consistently that much better....

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

6. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

Thanks for the great feedback! Although your description of the OOO you now have sounds very close to what I'm looking for it sounds like you prefer the OM/PW for the "singer/songwriter" vibe?

7. Peppy

Peppy Member

As an owner of a Santa Cruz H (also used to own a D/PW) I can only offer two words of advice re: Santa Cruz guitars...get one.

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

I agree that a 00 would be a great guitar for your(or my) purposes. The short scale OM(OMS) is worth considering.

9. jaimo

jaimo Member

I cherish my H-13. It is not a loud guitar. No booming bass of the larger 0's. But it has the most beautiful even tone across the board of any acoustic I've played or owned.
    Very articulate. A fingerstyle players guitar. (I don't use picks.) For recording it's stunning because of it's even, solid tone. Provides an excellent foundation for accompanying vocals.
    Really though, you've got play each one. The differences are subtle and you need to find a good fit. You won't regret it. The build, quality and tone are outstanding.

10. edbuff

edbuff Member

I second the thought on the H-13. I have sitka/hog. Very sweet guitar without excessive overtones that you find in rosewood. Well balanced from top to bottom. I have two SCGC guitars and the quality is second to none.

11. Bananafist

Bananafist Member

A Santa Cruz or Collings 00 or an 000 is the way to go - definitely! Warm, intimate, articulate - just like the perfect woman........

12. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I just got an OMS (short scale).
    Just an awesome guitar!!

Bitflogger likes this.
  13. Bitflogger

Bitflogger Member

Yeah, digging up an old one but it looks like we both got an OMS around the same time. Do you still have it and feel the same way? I've been into how much time has passed GAS-free and the way I love it so much.

I do see some dealers order these on occasion. One near me always gets them no pick guard which I suppose is an easy fix for a hybrid picker and summer like me.

All the models here have been a pleasure to try and play. The 14 fret 000 format struck me as super versatile. The scale length warms it up over the standard OM and as an electric player too I like the 14 vs 12 frets.

14. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Sad to say I let that one go a few years ago.

15. Nibulniblin

Nibulniblin Silver Supporting Member

Just look at this superb SCGC. Not mine - wish it could be - a gorgeous set of Brazilian to feast your eyes on. Dazzling view of the back.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Santa-Cr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Having previously been rapped over the knuckles for posting the sale of a friend's guitar on one of the emporiums, I'd better make it clear I have no interest or share in the sale of this instrument!