santana + dumble question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SoulToStrings, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

Can you guys help me figure out which CD, or CD's Santana plays a dumble on?

is it good? I heard he uses less gain which would be interesting in my opinion.

Thanks,
    STS
    www.soultostrings.com
    Melodic instrumental guitarist

2. LVC

LVC Senior Member

His late nighties and beyond.

Shaman

are some examples

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

Thanks LVC, appreciate it. I did not know supernatural was dumble. I am listening to it now, I knew some songs sure sounded like it.

How's that fuchs ods?! Man do u have or know of any recordings or cd's with an ods?

I don't have shaman , is it good by santana?

4. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

Santana's Dumble use came AFTER Supernatural. Shaman was the first. The Dumble used was an Overdrive Reverb that had been brought up to current specs in the early nineties. I loaned him that amplifier.

5. amc

amc Member

Can you share more of the story?

6. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Santana's Dumble tone sounds pretty gainy to me.
    Listen to the first Eric Clapton "Crossroads" DVD where he does "Jingo" with EC.

7. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Yeah you are correct my bad (should have gone back and listen to a couple of cuts from the albums first) ----

there is a significant difference between the tones of "The Game of Love" and "Smooth" --- "Game of Love" definitely has that ODS smoothy flavor to it.

8. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I really like that album a lot .... I am sure you have heard tracks from it ---- "The Game of Love" is the track that got a lot of airplay --- very classic ODS tone.

9. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Yep
    Great one that shows you the flexibilty of the amp is Grand Central by Jeff Golub -- all the tracks except for one or two I believe were done with a fuchs ODS

http://www.jeffgolub.com/jgnewcd.html

10. jay42

jay42 Member

That's one of the last things he recorded with the Boogie, afaik.

maxVsf -- if you either bought it new or dealt with HAD on the upgrade, please tell us about how that worked. There's a lot of heresay about how he works with a customer...not a lot of first hand commentary.

11. doc

doc Member

So he was using a Boogie on Supernatural? Which one and what cabs?

12. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Well it sounds pretty good to me.... maybe I am still a Boogie Mark I guy at heart....(played Boogies for years before I got a Fuchs). Tone on "The Game of Love" closer to what I would associate with an ODS style tone.

Been playing "the Game of Love" for a while with my band --- and the Fuchs/59R combo pretty much nails that tone ---

The other 2 tunes I really like on the Shaman album (for tones that I associate with ODS ) are -- "Why Don't You & I" as well as "Victory is won" ....

13. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

Laz - I think previous poster may be right about the MkI on Game of Love. It was great hearing that version with Tina Turner, huh? The amp tone I dig on Shaman is the last cut - with Placido Domingo.

14. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Tina Turner version is the one I listen to. OK maybe I got my albums confused. I like both versions -- but Tina rules.. and we play the horn stabs like in the Tina version.

the singer in my band is killer -- we start playing out in the fall again --- woman singer in my band sounds just like Chaka.

15. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

When I acquired the amp, I was negotiating with Alexander for a new one. Then he returned this one to a friend after finishing the mods. It was unbelievable. The friend had to sell shortly after, and I acquired it. So, I can't really comment on Alexander's procedures in working with a client. In my limited contact with him, I found him to be an interesting, funny, talented, nice guy, extremely intelligent - some say genius. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

16. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

Mr dumble thinks of things that others never thought to ask. ;

And also rides motorcycles with a helmet too small for his head

17. jay42

jay42 Member

Thanks!

18. LVC

LVC Senior Member

[​IMG]

19. gillibi

gillibi Member

He was probably slamming it with a TS9 at the time. His new favorite od/boost is the Zendrive2.

It makes no sense to me to have an ODS and run an overdrive into it.

20. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

What's funny is that among modern Santana tones I thought "Game of Love" was quite nice BUT BUT BUT he was pretty clear in 2 interviews I have seen that he recorded with his Dumbles AFTER this song was done.

He was pretty clear in these interviews that he used a MK I Boogie for those tracks THEN started setting up with the Dumble - remarking that he felt the Boogie's were Beamy and thing compared to the fullness of his Dumbles. Funny to hear considering the MK I tracks are arguably the better sounding tracks.

He also mentions in one interview he feels the PRS Custom series lacks bottom end, and he has never much liked them, and thus sticks with the Santana model PRS. In 2005 in GP he also shows his rig and that he uses Hemp cone speakers and Greenbacks now in addition to his continuing use of Altec 417s