Santana & Los Lonely Boys

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahermida, Oct 2, 2006.

1. ahermida

ahermida Member

I finally took a break last week and went to the Carlos Santana show. The opening act was Salvador Santana then Los Lonely Boys (LLB) and finally Santana. It took me about an hour to drive to West Palm Beach and the 1st thing I noticed when I met some of Carlos' people is that they were the nicest people, very respectful and cool to hang out with. I met his assistant and his guitar tech and since Carlos wasn't there I went to the tech's area on stage and chatted a long time with him about gear and everything else. After Ed (Carlos' tech) left I started chatting with Ish, guitar tech for LLB. We talked gear, and guitars for about an hour. Henry (LLB's guitar player) has a minimal setup. He has a bout 4 strats an Echoplex and a wah. That was basically it. Ish told me that the wah was not working right. I ended up repairing it before the show started so Henry was able to use it. I was amazed on how simple the setup was for their live show but they do suffer from GAS like all of us so at home they have an awesome collection of gear.

After about an hour chatting, Carlos' assistant told me that he was waiting for me so I went to meet him in person. He came across as a very low key person, very kind and more concerned with tone than with the technical aspects of it. When I arrived at the practice room he was playing a PRS into a Mosferatu and into a silverface Twin Reverb. He sounded like him. I bet he can take a broom, put a rubber band and make it sound like him. I observed how he hits the strings with a combination of pick sometimes and others with the fleshy side of the fingers (the area opposite to the finger nail) and he actually will pull the string upward with the finger...not actually pulling it, I would say is was more like a violing bow so the finger was at an angle and sliding it upward. There was not "twang" on it because he's not really pulling it. We talked about tone and how he is into supporting people right now that are pushing the "tone" technology in terms of amps, guitars or pedals. He seems very concerned with making sure that those efforts continue.

Back on stage, his setup has maybe 5 or 6 guitars, mostly PRS and a vintage white strat. Also a nylon guitar with a large "T" on the headstock (very cool and great tone on it). The guitar tech told me the name of the luthier but its a blur right now. Amp-wise, he runs 3 Mark I Boogies and 3 Dumbles (yikes!). I've never been close to one and having 3 right in front of me was amazing. They are big amps and the Mark I looked like lunchboxes next to them. Pedal-wise the setup was minimal: a Maxon vintage delay (one of those with the wide box), and Zendrive 2 and a Vox wah. That was about it. I was surprised how minimal the setup was. But he also has a stash of cool pedals but doesn't use them...more like a backup.

The show was awesome and LLB and Santana owned that place.

It's back to work for me...

Alf

2. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Alf the classical was a Turner. Very nice guitars.
    You lucky dog. :)

3. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Supporting Member

Great post Alf, thanks for sharing that stuff! (Can I have my Zendrive now?) JUST KIDDING!!! I will patiently wait my turn...but I bet Carlos didn't have to wait very long for HIS Zendrive....JUST KIDDING AGAIN!!!....

Whenever I have a chance to see a really great player up close, I like to watch and analyze what they're doing too...its fun to try and pick up some little technique or trick and try to use it..

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

Thanks for sharing. That's good stuff.

5. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

Zendrive 2 into a Dumble. Hmmmm......wonder what that sounds like.......

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Are you Back to work Now?
    I patiently awaiting my Zen,Great that you took time to Get and see some great players.:horse

7. tjs

tjs Senior Member

"Sorry, Carlos, but you're going to have to wait a bit for your pedal. I'm making one for ricardito.":rotflmao

8. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Supporting Member

Yeah, I hope ALf got a laugh out of that, too. Really though I wonder how often it is that one of the legends calls guys like Alf, Sean, Paul C, etc. for a pedal. Waiting list? HA! I bet it gets there FAST.....and rightly so of course. I imagine that feedback from someone like Carlos Santana on the sound of a pedal might mean alot to a builder.

9. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Great post Alf!
    My Zen2 has been a blessing.Keep up the good work!

Ted

10. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Alf, thanks for sharing that with us. Great stuff! Still loving my Mosfuratu big time!

11. theHoss

theHoss Member

Great post Alf, thanks! That is very cool of you.

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Hanging out with Santana and Los Lonely Boys' techs, chattin' it up with Carlos Santana.... Gee - what a terrible job you have:D

Thanks for sharing

Peace,

jb

13. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

i'll take a zen two , when is alf gonna start taking orders again?

14. theHoss

theHoss Member

Alf, quick question...Had Santana played the Zen 1? Just curious why he choose one over another? Thanks again for the post, its really cool that your hard work and dedication payed of in a seemingly dream like manner.

Take care!

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Great story, thanks for sharing!

16. ahermida

ahermida Member

I actually don't know since he has everything I make. He even played my Nu-Valve pedal. I had a nice conversation with him and actually setup his pedal while he was practicing and showing him what each knob does etc.

Alf