Sat Clip "What's Going On"

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by cdaloia, May 5, 2012.

1. AS193

AS193 Member

Chuck you are the most soulful and tasteful player I have heard in quite a few years. Thank so much, my friend. Watching your face in this clip, I could see Marvin's vocal lines running through your head as you played them.

2. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Silver Supporting Member

Chuck, one of the things I LOVE (one of many things) about your playing is that you play to fit the song. You don't try to go out when the song isn't asking for it. Real maturity there IMO. Also the emotional content .....wow!

3. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

I hear ya about Jostein, what a player! And thanks so much Andy, it means a lot. You are one of the coolest players I've ever heard...respect bro..YDM

That really means a lot to me Bub, thanks. I have mucho respect for your playing! You sound like you and that's the stuff in my world.

Marvin could sing the phonebook as they say. I had to transcribe his vocal one time (from a different tune) and play it on the guitar for a session. You know that I learned a lot about phrasing that day! Thanks man, what a nice thing to say.

Thank you Buddy. I did a lot of session work upstate NY but you are one of those guys who did it in LA! I was told as a kid to play for the song and play it like ya mean it!

BTW, for those of you that don't know, BuddyGuit was in the Grammy award winning fusion band Seawind.

Thanks for listening guys!

Chuck

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. garyh

garyh Member

That was so sweet, Chuck. Saw that documentary a couple of years ago and loved it to death.

5. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Silver Supporting Member

Thank you Buddy. I did a lot of session work upstate NY but you are one of those guys who did it in LA! I was told as a kid to play for the song and play it like ya mean it!

BTW, for those of you that don't know, BuddyGuit was in the Grammy award winning fusion band Seawind.

Thanks for listening guys!

Chuck[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the very kind words Chuck but I have to make a correction. We were nominated for a Grammy but didn't win one. It was and is a privilege for me to be in the group, most of the time hanging by a thread. A level of play far above me.

6. majordelt

majordelt Member

Well Chuck, This is what I'm talkin about man. The way you played this was so rich and vibrant. This music is pure uplifting energy and your playing just spread that good will to all who listen.. Love it my Brother

7. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Thanks Gary, that film was so inspiring. Got me off my butt to do this..

Buddy, you are too modest...

Hey Ronnie, what a nice way to describe this. Makes me feel good...thank ya brutha!

Chuck

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Chuck, it's one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums. There have been a lot of horrible versions put out so I'm always a little nervous hearing covered again but this is just so wonderful. It just the right combination of restraint, respect and creativity. Just a great listen right to the end.

9. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Thanks Jim, it's one of mine too and I know what you mean. I probably wouldn't have ever touched the tune but after seeing the movie I was still in Motown three days later! So I gave it a shot and put my heart into it. Those guys were something else..

Chuck

10. icarusi

icarusi Member

Don't usually go much on 'play the vocal line' things, but yours is brilliant!

11. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Glad that you liked it icarusi, thanks.

Chuck

12. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Pete nailed it and I concur. 'Soul on a pole'

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  13. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

"Soul on a pole?" LOL!! I've never heard that one, is it a Brit phrase? Thank you for that Woody and glad that you dug the tune.

Chuck

14. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Haha - no it's not a Brit term Chuck. The UK has a a talent show called the 'The Voice' as you guys do there. Will I am (Black Eyed peas) used the term to describe a singer called jazz Ellington - he said he had 'Soul on a Pole' - it's a snappy phrase that stuck. So actually it's coined by a US artist :)

15. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Woody, that was a "true" LOL when I read that. Funny man...thanks!!
    I am up to date in pop culture now!

Chuck

16. eddie101

eddie101 Silver Supporting Member

Such deep $$ pockets Chuck and you sound like a million bucks, Bossman. So soulful I can taste the fried chicken wings from where I sit. Dayum...

17. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Appreciate it Eddie, thanks!

BTW, check out the strat rhythm parts... just as much fun as playing the lead stuff.

Chuck

18. eddie101

Yep, AFAIC that's the Motown sound. I think a strat sounds best when it's being used as a rhythm guitar but that's just me. Were you using the neck/mid for that out-of-phase sound? All around great stuff....

19. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Hey Eddie, thanks. The main rhythm part was the mid/bridge combo but there's another little picking part in there w/ the neck/mid.

That group of musicians at Motown had it so together. That is ensemble playing!

Please see the movie if you haven't yet, you won't regret it. "Standing In the Shadows of Motown"

Chuck

PS: There's also a documentary about the "Wrecking Crew" LA's version of the "studio band" in the 60's. I haven't seen that yet but can't wait to!

20. eddie101

Should we expect to see your version of "Motown Sound Series" anytime soon? I'll be all over it if you do. Love that funky rhythm tone! :)