SAT now gives adversity scores..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 44 and feeling it, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

Fair enough. I guess I should have asked that question of Jason Calieri who seemed to have started the sidebar about race.

smiert spionam likes this.
  2. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I agree with your statement regarding diversity of ideas, but disagree re: random attributes. There are no random attributes, and people with different non random attributes have different experiences and insights to bring to the table. There's value there. Let's not overlook it for the sake of being PC.

Hallogallo and Juneaumike like this.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

I think that's kinda the point he's making. Why utilize race, skin color, etc., into it when color-blindness and all-inclusive is the goal?

voodoosound and Juneaumike like this.
  4. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

So someone with a high adversity score bumps someone with a low adversity score and goes to a school where they're not equipped to compete. Studies find they fail at a higher rate than those with lower adversity scores so they get adversity points on performance measures. They graduate by virtue of adversity points and go to a job they're not prepared for - do they get adversity points on their evaluations, promotions, and raises?

I also see a system fraught with opportunity for gaming.

What was that Kurt Vonnegut short story where the talented ballet dancers were made to wear heavy weights to prevent them from outshining the less fortunate and intelligent people were made to wear shock administering devices to randomly interrupt their thinking?

5. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

Yeah, who cares if their parents scrimp and save to pay for their children's education. We shouldn't reward the people who try the hardest.

Kyle B, yakyak, yeatzee and 5 others like this.
  6. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Harrison Bergeron.
    (Vonnegut is in my wheelhouse, thanks).

Kyle B, Baxtercat and NewLeaf09 like this.
  7. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

I just read another source on this story and their analysis suggests some universities are trying to get at ethnic diversity but have been increasingly painted into corners by court rulings. You can't use quotas, can't use self-reported data as a deciding factor, etc. So they are looking for a model that allows them to assess someone's background without asking specific questions or classifying applicant pools based on an internal system.

So this is sort of an attempt at getting at an objective that will survive a court challenge. I get the idea, I think. We can all draw our own conclusions whether it is right to do so in this day and age. (I'm waiting for the first instance of a well-heeled slumlord using the address of one of his rundown properties to get his kid into a nice school. If it hasn't happened already, that is).

CheckSix and sundog964 like this.
  8. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Your implication that intelligence is not diverse does not correspond with my experience. I work with PhD engineers from all over the world. Very diverse and they all competed to get into their schools with others.

9. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

The test scores are quite influenced by coaching; however, the parents that pay for test coaching also quite often successfully bully teachers into inflating their child's grade, effectively eliminating that gap. I'm basing this off one math teacher who transferred from a lower income school district to a quite affluent school district, so this may be limited to one school but given other current events, I doubt it.

10. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

Everyone gets a pork chop.

11. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

This is really a sweeping generalization that disrespects teenagers. The test scores measure academic knowledge. Yes, there are coaches and tutors that can help some students. There are also study guides and web resources that can also help. There are students who roll out of bed, grab a pencil and go take the test cause mom says I gotta. There are also very conscientious students who worked hard all through high school, took demanding courses and spent huge portions of their down time to do study prep for SAT or ACT tests until when the day came, they went in there well prepared and did very well. There are also smart kids who don't test well.

I was not one of the smart kids in high school but as I recall the smart and hard working kids all did well on their ACTs. They deserve our respect for their accomplishments. I doubt very seriously that a SAT coach can perform a miracle. Looking back on HS, when I was out playing at night, they were often the ones at home working. When the door closes and you sit down to that test, helicopter parents and svengali coaches ain't gonna save you. Either you know it, or you don't.

yakyak and Laurence like this.
  12. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

My adversity was being not very smart and also not studying very much. I made it anyway ...

13. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

Not disparaging smart and hard working kids. However some kids have parents that can afford extracurricular test prep and taking multiple courses to prep and practice makes a huge difference. To my knowledge, there are no scholarships or financial aid packages to prep courses. And if you don't think prep courses make a difference, ask any of the TGP attorneys if they would have performed acceptably on the LSAT without having taken prep courses.

Laurence, Crowder and Juneaumike like this.
  14. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

Colleges, public education, worthless rackets. Public funding needs to be cut off.

15. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Thanks for that. I think the army of smart, hardworking kids far outnumber the few rich kids who skate. Those test prep courses aren't going to substitute for 4 years of hard work when its time to begin the test. I'm sure those LSAT takers will attest to that.

Laurence and mycroftxxx like this.
  16. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Nobody likes my guitar playing, truth be told I never practice anymore b/c of adversity with work and family and such...

I deserve that million dollar gig at Music Hall, Im told I have potential, and my guitar wankery would certainly qualify as diverse from the professionalism Music Hall is known for.

Hopefully they can require the audience/townspeople to buy some really expensive tickets to pay me.

Im gonna' shred to my own beat and get rich.

17. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

What do you mean by "diversity of ideas," and why would that be "the only useful thing"? Lots of ideas are ill-informed and ignorant. They're not worth promoting simply because someone holds them.

Generally, colleges are looking for diversity of talents, experiences, and skills. It's imperfect, but overall it tends to produce a more valuable and enriching experience for all students, regardless of their background. Or even their ideas.

18. StanG

StanG Member

And it starts.

19. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

In a free society where ideas make the world a better place, diversity of ideas increase the quality of life for everyone. Whether an idea is "ill-informed" or "ignorant" is a decision we get to make as a society. Good ideas flourish on their own strength, they don't need someone promoting them. I think colleges have lost sight of that.

sharpshooter and yakyak like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.