Satchurator vs. Jemini Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jmp, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Both of these pedals just came out and were designed by artists who have traditionally relied on the Boss DS-1 for their distortion tones.

Has anyone had the chance to compare the Satchurator to the distortion side of the Ibanez Jemini pedal? I suspect that they are going to be in the same ballpark, but could be wrong.

2. RickB

RickB Member

I haven't played the Satchurator yet but did get to spend some time with the Jemini. The distortion side of the Jemini is very nice as is the overdrive side. I have played a Keeley DS-1 over the years and the distortion side of the Jemini is at least equally as good. I found there to be a real nice low end to it and a very useful range on both the tone and gain knobs. I didn't find it to have any of those artifical qualities that the DS-1 can put forth. Overall, they did a great job with the modded TS and DS-1 circuits in the Jemini. I look forward to checking out the Satchurator when I can find one. I also plan on actually buying a Jemini as well once I cure some other gas aches!

scolfax likes this.
  3. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

The Vai demo was pretty cool. Just a touch of cheese added of course. It wouldn't be Vai without it. Frank would be proud.

4. Bad G.A.S.

Bad G.A.S. Senior Member

I like the Satchurator lots more than the Jemini. Much fatter sound and doesn't sound weak and fizzy like the Jemini. Also, the Satchurator has more useable features like the pad switch (it works really well!) and the 'more' switch that adds gain instead of having 2 separate OD's that you can't combine...What's the deal with that bright/save feature on the Jemini anyways? All it does is affect the lights around the knobs. C'mon Vai, surely you could have come up with something better than that, like a boost switch or something to give you more tonal options...Instead, you went with the light switch........Brilliant!!!:rotflmao

5. RickB

RickB Member

Given the sheer size of the Jemini, I think they should have put a fan where the bright/save switch is so that anyone can have their hair blown back while playing over it! :cool:

[​IMG]

6. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I felt the overdrive sound was terrible when pushing his amp.. what is with this overly compressed fizzy sound? On its own, the distortion side rivalled the satchurator.

Looks wise though, the gemini looks like $hit.

7. soundbee

soundbee Member

I really only liked Vai's sound on the Flexable records.

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

that video is AWESOME.

the only vai i've ever really gotten my head into is his zappa stuff, primarily the album guitar. 2 discs of FZ and vai solo sections from live performances.

9. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

one vote for the satch pedal

the video clips sound pretty good.!

i want one

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I can tell you one thing about the Satch pedal. It is not going to be a plug and play like say a KOT,FD2,BOR,ETC. Plugged it in and the bottom end was all over the place.Very flabby, like cheap comp speakers when you have the bass cranked..Plenty of gain,but Man I would have had to tweak the rig just for that one pedal.I will find a place for it. By the way I have 2 and they both sounded the same..Nothing wrong with the pedal.. I'll update this later.

11. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Rick,

Where did you find a Jemini? Any store in Boston?

Thanks,

Tomo

12. RickB

RickB Member

Hey Tomo! I played it at the Daddy's in Salem, NH. I would bet that Daddy's in Boston has them laying around. They still have the one up in Salem as of today when I was in there.

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Satchurator

That has to be the coolest pedal name ever!

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Can't make a comparison but I did buy the Satchurator and its ok sounds good at lower volumes but when I played my amps clean channel(VHT S30) at louder volumes I was dissapointed the pedal did not blend well I had to crank the mids and reduce bass...I found the bass response to not be that tight but when i shut the pedal off my clean tone was messed up, I packed it up and returned it to GC and was happy to get my money back.
    Even when I got the pedal to sound good it still did not sound as good as my amps distortion, I'm not even going to bother with the Jemini!

15. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I'm planning on trying out the Satchurator... but Vai's demo was the funniest demo video I've probably ever seen.

At this point, anything to replace my DS-1 would be welcome. I was about to send it to Keeley, but will probably spend the cash on the Satch pedal now. (oh who am I kidding, I'll do both... and probably buy a Jemini too ;))