Satchy backing track!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by unix-guy, Oct 15, 2005.

1. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Ok people, here is my first backing track for TGP: Satchy

It has an early Satriani vibe to me, although you might think differently. Although the tones are little more like later Satch stuff.

I don't have time at the moment to lay anthing down over this track, so you fine folks will have to take a whack at it first! :)

This was all recorded direct from the guitar (Ibanez '88 Sabre) and bass (cheap Washburn) through a George L's cable to an Mbox and ProTools. Any effects or "amp" sound are from the Amplitube LE plugin...

Drums are very basic and come from ReDrum in the Reason plugin...

Key is E, with a leaning towards A...

Enjoy!

Kevin

2. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

You nailed that sweet Satriani tone. What kind of amp/effects??

Great playing!!

4. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Nice work, Bob! I agree with Ted - you definitely have the tone down. As a big fan of Satch, I think you've got his wah style nailed, too :)

What gear did you record with?

Kevin

5. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Ok, I just got done with the full take: satchy-full

I opted to go for the melodic approach as opposed to just wailing, although I full expect I'll re-work this at least once more :)

Gear used:

A Section: '88 Ibanez Sabre (bridge humbucker) -> Carl Martin Compressor -> Barber Direct Drive -> TC SCF chorus -> Guyatone MD-3 delay -> Ashdown Peacemaker 40 (vol on about 1) -> SM58 -> Mbox

B Section: '88 Ibanez Sabre (neck single coil) -> Voodoo Labs Proctavia -> Carl Martin Compressor -> TC SCF chorus -> Guyatone MD-3 delay -> Ashdown Peacemaker 40 (vol on about 1) -> SM58 -> Mbox

Comments? Did ya like it? :)

Kevin

6. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

Thanks Tedm.

Thanks Kevin. The signal path is Vigier Excalibur Original -> Bogner Shiva -> Bogner 2x12 (SM57 on V30 & E609 on G12H-30)

As far as the fx that Ted asked about, aside from the wah, I put some delay and reverb on the guitar in the mix. I also put your backing in a room, because it was dry.

7. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

Sounds good Kevin.

One thing you might want to try so that you have more versatility in the mix, however, is to record dry and then deal with fx using the PT plugins. Of course, if you're ending up with exactly what you want, then nevermind! :D

8. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Yeah, the effects are pretty much set it and forget it. I have basic settings and the compressor/chorus/delay are pretty much constants.

I like to hear the effects when I play, and unfortunately, adding them via plugins includes the added latency involved with using the Mbox...

Everything (effect-wise) in the backing tracks is added post-recording - it was all direct from the guitar to the Mbox :)

Kevin

9. Spewbag

Spewbag Guest

10. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

Latley, I don't think Satriani has great guitar tone at all. Of course I never told him that when I met him. His sound is unique, and space age perfect for his style. The Lumious Flesh Giants CD and Surfin are his best guitar tone IMO.

11. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

I agree, but with some reason:

1) the first couple of releases (Not of this Earth, Surfing) would engineered/EQ'd/effected intentionally with unusual, "non standard" tones so they would stand out. Really, a lot of people (myself included) have accepted the Surfing tone as "good", but that is subjective...

2) the next few (The Extremist, Joe Satriani) were (in my opinion) where Joe's real tone came out. Much more of a classic good tone, with a lot more bluesy elements creeping in.

3) more recent recordings (Crystal Planet to Strange Beautiful Music) seem to me that Joe is taking the tone from the #2 era and tweaking it with unsual/extreme effects.

Personally, I think era #1 and #2 above are when I enjoyed the music more, but there is also some of the more recent stuff that I like.

Unlike a lot of people, my favorite is Not Of This Earth and THEN Surfing With The Alien as a close second and probably followed by The Extremist in third.

Kevin

12. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Cool - next time try posting a direct link to the song, though...

I like the main melody - although maybe a little more variation.

Its nice to hear other people playing over my track :)

Kevin

13. Spewbag

Spewbag Guest

Hey Thanks. I'm not all the well versed in reserved type harmony/melody stuff so I'm still kinda one demesional..........but I'll keep working at it.

I try posting direct links from soundclick but I never can do it right!?!:mad: :(