Satin Nitro Finish Questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheRover, Feb 5, 2008.

1. TheRover

TheRover Supporting Member

Does anybody have any experience in buffing out a satin nitro finish such as a Fender Highway One to a gloss/shiny finish? What seems to be the general consensus and or opinions about a satin versus a gloss nitro finish?

2. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I have done this, take as much of the hardware off and get some good compound and hand rub. Stay away from the edges with a lot of pressure. It does not get mirror deep but looks good, like an old well cared for guitar.

3. Stike

Stike Member

Usually those satin finishes have a deglossing agent inermixed in the clear so it might not ever get really glossy no matter how much you buff it.

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I have yet to meet a satin finish that I couldn't buff to a very high gloss. Probably as glossy as a gloss model. That is as long as the grain is filled.

Also, I use power buffers which make a huge difference. Flattening agents or not...

5. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

One of the guys on the Birds and Moons (PRS) forum just buffed out a Modern Eagle and it looks terrific. He used swirl remover and one of the fender micro cloths (not MICROMESH). Check over there he had some really nice pics.

6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I'm going to bump this thread because I'd also like to learn some recommendations. I really dislike the finish on my blonde/rosewood HWY1 Strat to the point where I'm seriously thinking about refinishing it completely.

7. TheRover

Sounds like there is more than one way to skin a cat here. Can anybody recommend a compound? Fender/Meguiars swirl & haze remover or polish and conditioner? How about an automobile or marine compound?

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

9. Bob V

Bob V Member

I buffed my Highway One Strat with Meguiars woodfinishing compounds (Pre-polish and 16 Fine polish, you don't need to go to the PO19E super fine polish) available at Homestead Finishing and at Targetcoatings. They are very fine abrasives that work well by hand or with a buffer (if you're careful not to burn through the edges). Automotive compounds will work BUT they contain silicone which is a no-no on wood since it will really create problems if you ever refinish (or repair the finish).

this does depend on how exactly the original finisher accomplished the satin effect. If it was satin lacquer then it has flatteners (tiny particles of silica or some such) that diffuse the light, if you buff the surface you'll get a shine but not the clarity you'd expect with a proper gloss nitro. The Highway One nitro topcoat is simply dull "off the gun" without any buffing at the Fender factory, it does not seem to have any flatteners in it so it is not a permanently satin finish. Some Fender customer service rep posted on the Fender forum that they expect people to buff it out if they want to. Now that it's been buffed out it is rather fragile - scratches easily - but the three-tone sunburst is very nice and you can appreciate the wood grain underneath.

10. dkals

dkals Member

I actually polished my H-1 two weeks a go with turtle wax car polish compound. I have the 3 tone sunburs and it shined up nicely. Not like a deep clear coat. But it got rid of the haze and you can see the wood grain much better. When I play it, where my arm rubs it looks haze like. I rub it down with a soft cloth and it shines up again.

Pay attention to what Bob V said in the post prior to me.

I managed to put 2 scratches in mine while rubbing it out. This was done with the edge of my finger nail. I had a buffing cloth folded in half between my hand and the guitar, also my nails are kept short.

11. Thames

Thames Member

Yes, the HW1 finish can be buffed and can turn into a nice shine. Ive seen some really nice shiny HW1s. Mine is black. I tried the automobile compound (on back), and it does the job very well. I'll have to sand it lightly before.

As an example of finishes with "deglossing agent", the satin headstock on my Edwards LP is totally " un-shinable "... :\ is it a word ? certainly not, but you understand.

12. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Member

Get yourself some 3M Finess-It and a cheap hand buffer from WalMart and it will shine like you wouldn't believe!

13. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

14. Mr. Soul

Mr. Soul Member

I'm thinking of buying a Highway One and buffing it too. Does anyone have pictures taken after buffing that can be added to this thread? I'd love to see if it's worth my time to buff it, or if I should just leave it as is.

15. TheRover

Here's what I just picked up on the bay. 2007 HWY1 Loaded Daphne Blue Body for $300. Goning to 3 single coils w a mint green guard and new maple neck. That is after I buff it to a nice shine!!!
    [​IMG]

16. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

Here's pics of a highway one I buffed out. I started with 1200-200 wetsandpaper to polish then to Finese it II and then to Imperial hand glaze

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

you could just pick up some clear gloss lacquer and throw it on top of the guitar and sand it to a gloss.

18. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Looks pretty darn good to me. :AOKNice choice of products too. I sell those products daily in my regular job...

19. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Supporting Member

Great Thread! I just did the body on my '07 Surf Green limited edition highway one and it looks great! I'm wondering now if the fender/meguiars is safe on the back of my satin neck? The body is now super slick and nice feeling so I'm thinking about doing the neck. Any reason I shouldn't? Thanks guys!

Jacob

20. Bob V

Bob V Member

Nice job, buckwild. I went with the tortoise pickguard, too.