Satriani Flying in a Blue dream live GP6 tab

CubanB

I've transcribed a few songs that interest me in the last few months, and in the EJ Trademark thread someone posted a vid of Satch playing this song. I've always wanted to learn this one but thought that figuring out all the notes was too much of a headache (I've half learned it in the past). Transcribing it was quite tricky but it was also a lot of fun. This one is pretty much note for note with all of the correct fingerings, except for the ascending palm muted chromatic style thing.. where I changed the notes slightly because I think it sounds better this way (and is easier to play).

Satch is a monster. There's so many nuances in this song, and some really fast/tricky legato passages. A lot of whammy nuances. And the gear needs to be setup right for the sustain/feedback. Was really fun ear training trying to figure it all out.

It's based off this GC version, because it was easy to see/follow but it's essentially the same as all of the other live versions, minus the intro/outros which are always evolving.

This version is tuned down half a step to match the video but if you have Guitar Pro 6, you can alter the tuning by changing every stringed instrument up a semitone and saving the file as a standard tuning version.

MtIk3ID.jpg

I've tried to match the levels/tones of the other instruments to sound good so these files also work as backing tracks, if you mute the guitar track. The tab files are small, so I included the other tabs in the file. Steve Vai Sisters, EJ Trademark and SRV, and this one. They are tricky songs, but there's no harm in sharing.. and if anyone gives them a go.. have fun. :)

link updated in post below

Last edited:

CubanB

Have uploaded an updated version of the songs into a zip file below. I spent some time in the last week EQ'ing the other instruments to make them more suitable for backing tracks, you just need to mute the guitar tracks. The rhythm/notes of the guitar is quite accurate in my opinion, some of the bass and drums is slightly off but still usable. I spent a little time making the bass of Trademark more accurate to the live version but the focus is mainly for the guitar. I spent a lot of time trying to transcribe the nuances of each player and the licks/timing.. it was quite fun and good ear training. Most online tabs/books out there, are never quite accurate IMO. It'd be nice if the person who wrote the song could do the transcriptions for the books, but it doesn't really work like that.

If there is a song that you really love and want to learn.. I recommend transcribing it yourself, and in doing that.. it becomes clearer in your head before even picking up the guitar. Especially in terms of the fingerings/timing/rests and dynamics.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=12106836392281735435

Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream live 2012 Guitar Center
Steve Vai - Sisters live 2016 (various shows)
Eric Johnson - SRV live 2006 Anaheim
Eric Johnson - Trademark live 2006 Anaheim

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom